Block Party

Kent Lawson leads the GAC Conference in blocks and it’s not even close

Kent Lawson going up for one of 10 blocks against Holt.

Eric Mason

Eric Mason

Nick Howard, Reporter

While not being a big option to score on the team, junior Kent Lawson knows his role outside of offense. He has became the top shot blocker in the GAC Conference and it isn’t a close race.

Being the only one to have more than two blocks per game in the GAC, the 6-foot-5 Lawson is one of the only players in the state with more blocks than fouls having played a minimum of 20 games.

“Coach tells me to block anything that comes into the paint and to always play my role on the team,” Lawson said.

Blocking shots has been a routine each game for Lawson as he has 80 blocks on the season and still counting. Coach Sodemann says that Lawson is a game changer and has been really key on the defensive side.

“He’s a game changer for sure. Our defense wouldn’t be what it is without him on the floor,” Sodemann said.

A big thing going for Lawson is that he has stayed healthy for a good part of the season. In previous years his worst enemy was the injury bug. Having him in the game healthy is a big help for the team as he’s creating blocks almost every time he is in the game. Keeping him on the floor will be key for the Eagles down the stretch on the road to state.

“I’ve been really happy that Kent has stayed healthy this season having him playing in most of our games has helped us a lot this year,” Sodemann said.

With as dominant of a season as Kent Lawson has had on defense, not even he was expecting to have anything close this many blocks at the start of the season. Even he had to look up online to believe his stats.

“I was surprised to see myself at the top of the GAC Conference in blocks when I looked it up. I wasn’t expecting to have a season like I’ve had,” Lawson said.

Although Kent Lawson would enjoy to get to 100 blocks on the season, he knows there’s one thing he wants more than anything else. A state championship for his school is his main goal he hopes to achieve.

“Getting to 100 blocks would be nice but the main goal is to win state with my team, nothing is better than that,” Lawson said.