Winter Guard Brings Home the Bronze

Their ‘Sleeping With the Television On’ routine takes third overall at competition

Emma Bobbitt, Reporter

A lot of sweat and hours of preparation went into perfecting the Liberty’s winter guard performance.

On Saturday, March 10, the team woke up at the crack of dawn to go to school. After perfecting their makeup and costumes, they loaded onto the bus and headed to O’Fallon Township High School in O’Fallon, Illinois. After hours of waiting, they put on their best performance to date.

Their routine is based on Billy Joel’s hit, “Sleeping With the Television On” which is about how in the 60’s and 70’s there was no 24-hour broadcasting. The television would sign off at night with the national anthem followed by white noise until programming resumed in the morning.

The undeniably creative routine sparked the interest of the audience and the judges as they placed second in the Scholastic Regional A group and third overall.

“We have placed third at the past two and it was a pretty good improvement and the team is really happy that all of our hard work is paying off,” junior Braden McMakin said.

Winter guard spent countless hours practicing and critiquing to create the best routine they could. After practicing twice a week for four hours each, along with additional practices sprinkled throughout, they struck success.

“I’m very proud of how hard we all have worked to get this. Although our season is not quite over, I couldn’t be more happy of what we have accomplished as a team,” said winter guard captain Christian Tebeau.

Make sure to keep a close eye on the winter guard team. Their next competition will be at Francis Howell North on March 24.