Musical Expression

Mrs. Willis’ Theater 2 class made musicals out of T.V. shows

Alyssa Place

The group performing “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” circling around Kim.

Alyssa Place, Reporter

The Theater 2 class, taught by Mrs. Willis, has been working hard the last couple of weeks to make a musical out of a T.V. show or a movie. There were three groups, and they performed for the first time on Friday, March 9, and Monday, March 12.

One group did the T.V. show “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” as their T.V. show turned musical. Their main focus was a girls trip to Hawaii for the first time. The ratings are dropping, so drama is stirred up, including Scott, Kourtney’s ex-boyfriend, coming and “invading” their girls trip. Emily Grant, a freshman, was a member of this group, playing Kylie Jenner.

“When Mrs. Willis assigned this project, I was really excited, because I thought ‘Ooh, it will be so fun to make a musical,’ especially since we only do one musical a year,” said Grant.

Another group performed a musical using “Loony Tunes” as their T.V. show inspiration. They used the disputes between Tweety and Sylvester, and between Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny. There is also a threat of an alien invasion made, but the four other characters put aside their differences and join together to defeat the alien.

The final group made their musical based off of the show “Friends.” Freshman Ruthie Clancy was in this group, and played as Rachel. She said that the group put a few things in the musical from the real show, such as Rachel running away from her wedding. They also reworked the show so that there was a Valentine’s Day party that Monica hosts, and everyone had to have dates.

After all the groups had performed for the first time, they got critiques from Mrs. Willis, and had until Wednesday, March 14 to make them even better.

“Our first performance went pretty well, knowing that one of the actors wasn’t there and we had to have someone else fill in. We’ll work things out and make it better next time,” said Clancy.

While being a long project, everyone seemed to have had a great time doing it, and they seem to be having a great time doing theater in general.

“Theater gives everyone the opportunity to express themselves in ways they don’t normally get to, and with people they don’t normally get to work with,” Grant said.