GUTS Takes the Stage

Olivia Rodrigo goes on her second tour for her GUTS album
Echo Brooke
GUTS candles counting down time before Olivia Rodrigo come on stage.

Olivia Rodrigo has quickly become a popular name in the music industry, having gained popularity after her debut album SOUR. In 2023, she released her sophomore album GUTS and announced a second world tour to go along with it.

The concert is a true immersive experience. You sing, dance, and even scream at the top of your lungs. The tour took off in Palm Springs, Calif. on Feb. 23, just three days after her 21st birthday. Rodrigo plays a number of songs from both of her albums. Along with that, she sings “Can’t Catch Me Now” and her newly released song titled “Obsessed.”

Currently, Chappell Roan is kicking off the show with her high energy-opening act. She plays a few songs from her album titled ‘The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess’ for the crowd to get them excited for what is to come. The Breeders, PinkPantheress, and Remi Wolf are also set to be openers later on.

Chappell Roan during her opening act at the GUTS concert. (Echo Brooke)

A trend that has been going around concerts recently is making and wearing friendship bracelets, and the GUTS tour is no different. People make bracelets in the theme of the artist, in this case Olivia Rodrigo, and sometimes trade them with other people at the concert. One person at her St. Louis concert said, “I’m going around and trading all the bracelets I can.”

Along with the bracelets, people have also taken to dressing up for her concerts. All around the stadiums she plays at, you can find people wearing outfits to fit Olivia Rodrigo’s aesthetic. Some popular themes you can find include dressing up like her music videos, wearing her signature color purple, fishnets, and dressing like how you envision her songs to look. If you want to go as a song, you can also go to her official website and take the quiz to find out which song you are.

Not all the reactions to the tour have been positive. One big criticism about the tour is that it’s not appropriate for people’s children with her dancing and language. Rodrigo’s music and this tour has never been advertised for children, but because she came from a Disney background, people tend to assume that she’s child-friendly.

Olivia Rodrigo performing on stage singing her song Can’t Catch Me Now. (Echo Brooke)

With the GUTS tour, Rodrigo started Olivia Rodrigo’s Fund 4 Good. With this, a portion of the proceeds from ticket sales go to abortion funds. For the North American section of the tour, Rodrigo partnered with local chapters of the National Network of Abortion Funds, and at the concerts you can find booths set up by them.