March For Our Lives

Marches against gun violence in schools are organized across the country

March For Our Lives

Brooke Huffman, Reporter

On February 14, a 19-year-old walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida armed with an AR-15, and took the lives of 17 students and teachers. The weapon he used was purchased legally, and is behind one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.

Surviving students have refused to be defeated by this tragedy, and have organized the upcoming “March For Our Lives.”

“We can’t ignore the issues of gun control that this tragedy raises. And so, I’m asking – no, demanding – we take action now,” Cameron Kasky, survivor of Parkland shooting said in an interview with CNN.

What was originally planned to be a national march has gone worldwide, with over 700 participating locations. The event scheduled for March 24 is based in Washington D.C., with over 500,000 people planning to attend that march alone.

A local march is planned on Market Street in St. Louis on March 24 at 10 a.m. While this march may not be as big as the march in Washington D.C., it’s a great way for locals to take a stand for what we believe in.

March For Our Lives was funded by donations, with major donors being George and Amal Clooney, and Oprah. Each have donated $500,000 to this campaign.

March for our Lives is a call for action, with student safety being it’s first priority. Every person who marches is another person showing support for students trying to protect their own rights, after losing their peers to a mass school shooting. They’re showing support for students who want to protect their schools from that same possibility, the parents who want to protect their children.

If you’re unable to march, a national high school walkout is being held on April 20 at 10 a.m.