Making It Big

submitted by Gillian Sanford

Six StuCo members were chosen to attend the MASC conference on March 8-10 at Lebanon High School.

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Stuco members attended the Missouri Association of Student Councils (MASC) conference on March 8-10 at Lebanon High School to gain leadership and ideas.

To attend the conference, you had to apply and only six people from each school were chosen. The conference lasted three days and within those days students had various activities and workshops that they had attended.

If a school had run for any office, they had opportunities to campaign.

“The first day we campaigned for secretary and then the second day we had general sessions and had workshops. The last day was a closing session and that’s when we figured out that we won secretary,” junior Evan Sachs said.

The second day was most important because Stuco members got to collaborate with other schools for ideas.

“We went there to gather ideas to see what worked in other schools and what didn’t work to make our school a better place,” junior Megan Maetten said.  

When they campaigned for secretary, they did various things from videos to passing out candy with puns on them.

“We had to make a video that was three minutes long and Evan and Hunter went around and handed out candy with puns that campaigned us for secretary,” Maetten said. “We had a Tootsie Roll that said things like ‘don’t let this opportunity roll by.’”

They also had a trifold setup and slideshow with pictures of all the events that they have done.

It was exciting to the members of Stuco that they had won secretary after all their hard work campaigning.

“I liked finding out that we won secretary,” junior Gillian Sanford said. “I really liked going to the discussion room and learning new ideas and meeting new people.”

It was also good to bounce off ideas from each other from different schools.

As MASC secretary, they have several responsibilities and duties that they need to accomplish for the upcoming year.

“Next year we will be in charge of setting up the exhibit hall like the campaign booths for next year’s elections at the next state convention. We also have to attend state planning meetings  and help with anything involved in the state convention,” Maetten said.

This conference not only gets you prepared for if you want to run for an office, but you also get to meet new people through this experience.