The Theater Where it Happened

Some Liberty students were lucky see the hit musical Hamilton in St. Louis

submitted by Emily Grant

Hamilton opened at the Fox Theater on April 3.

Alyssa Place, Reporter

The Broadway hit musical, Hamilton, was at The Fabulous Fox Theater in St. Louis from April 3-22. There are two different casts for the show currently touring the country, and St. Louis was lucky enough to have the amazing Angelica cast, although the Philip cast is great too. The show was a smashing success in St. Louis, and it didn’t matter that the cast was different. There were even characters that some people thought were better than the original cast.

Senior Nicole Thompson was one of many people from Liberty who went to see Hamilton. She was able to get tickets to sit near the orchestra pit, with a perfect panoramic view of the stage. Eliza Schuyler, who marries Alexander Hamilton, takes the cake for her favorite character, and she also sings one of Thompson’s favorite songs, “Burn.”

“Eliza’s my girl, so I stand by her. She’s pretty great,” Thompson said. Though Thompson loves the original Broadway cast, she was not concerned about this being a different cast, they still blew her away. She actually had the chance to meet the cast at the end, racing to the stage door to get there in time.

submitted by Nicole Thompson
Nicole Thompson got to meet some of the cast members. These two cast members play Lafayette/Jefferson and Hamilton.

“They were so nice. The guy who played Jefferson so funny and nice, and the guy who played Burr was really sweet,” said Thompson.

Freshmen Grace Pickering, Shaina Feinstein and Emily Grant also went to see the show. Feinstein and Pickering first started listening to the musical when the eighth grade choir at Frontier sang “My Shot” last year for their spring concert. Grant had found out about the musical online, and decided to listen because it sounded pretty good.

Before seeing the show, Pickering wasn’t sure that she would enjoy Hamilton, with the historical aspect of it, but it completely exceeded her expectations. After seeing the show, her favorite song was “The Room Where it Happened,” and her favorite part was when Hamilton was shot.

“Seeing the bullet flying through the air was really cool,” Pickering said.

Feinstein loved, and still loves all of the music in Hamilton. However, after seeing the show, her eyes have been opened to the dancing, the lights and the way the actors delivered the scenes, which you won’t get by just listening to the soundtrack.

“We had seats in the box, but even though we were far away, I could still see the facial expressions of the actors and it was amazing,” Feinstein said.

submitted by Alisha Grant
Emily and Alisha Grant posing with their Hamilton Playbills next to the Hamilton sign.

Grant loved the whole musical just from listening to it, but wasn’t as into some songs as others. When seeing the show though, she realized that she loved the songs.

“I was like, ‘I actually love that song. What was I doing? Now I want to listen to that.’” said Grant. Her favorite song, even after finally recognizing some others, is still loves “Non-Stop” and “Take A Break.”

“It’s too hard to pick just one favorite,” she said.

If you threw away your shot and didn’t get to see Hamilton at the Fox this time, don’t worry, it will return. It has been announced that the show will return to the theater in the 2019-2020 U.S. Bank Broadway series, although an official date has not been released. Start saving your pennies for tickets now, you won’t want to miss it!