A Helping Hand

Proceeds from the Key Club yard sale went to Mr. Pegg's son

Mr. Peggs hugs Key Club president Mikayla Bowman after receiving the money that was fundraised.

Maddie Baker

Maddie Baker

Caleb Woods and Chasteanne Salvosa

On a typical Saturday morning, you will probably be sleeping in. But not for Key Club.

On April 28, Key Club members woke up early and were at Liberty by 6:30 a.m. for the yard sale that started at 7 a.m. About 3,000-4,000 items were donated to the yard sale. At first, not a lot of people showed up because no one knew about it. So to get people’s attention, a couple of Key Club members went outside to advertise about the yard sale and it worked.

Ms. Borders, the Key Club sponsor, came up with the yard sale when Key Club heard about Mr. Peggs’ son, Drew, who was born six weeks prematurely.

“Key Club helps the youth in the community and Drew fit our motto for Key Club,” Borders said. “It’s our way to help Mr. Peggs with his medical expenses.”

The money garnered from both the yard sale and the miracle minute held at Mr. LHS on Friday night, was presented to Mr. Peggs on Monday during seventh hour by Key Club sponsors, Ms. Borders and Mr. Barker, Key Club president and vice president,  juniors Mikayla Bowman and Christian Tebeau, as well as StuCo president and vice president, juniors Marlee Doniff and Hunter Perkins.

Key Club raised more than $540 from the yard sale. Mr. Peggs was very much appreciative of the money.

“It really touched my life and my wife,” Peggs said. “I’m about to cry.”

The donated items that were left from the yard sale were donated to the VA.

Caleb Woods, Reporter/Audio Editor

Caleb Woods is a senior and his first year on the Ledger magazine. This is his third year in publications. He loves watching the St. Louis Blues and he is a huge hockey fan. He loves Keith Urban’s music, he can recite most of his songs word for word and recently attended his fifth Keith Urban concert. He has interviewed many local media personalities including KSDK’s Mike Bush and Ryan Dean. He also enjoys spending time with his family and friends. He also loves to sing and he loves producing and hosting J-Dubs in the Morning. When he grows up, he wants to be a radio personality in the St. Louis area.

Chasteanne Salvosa, Co-editor-in-chief of Ledger magazine

Chasteanne (Chas-teen) Salvosa is a senior and co-editor-in-chief for the Ledger. This is her fourth year in publications. In her free time, Chasteanne enjoys reading, is bilingual, and is probably listening to Amy Winehouse or Charlie Puth right now. Outside of publications, Chasteanne is also a part of Link Crew and is Vice President of Gay Straight Alliance Committee. After high school, Chasteanne would like to pursue a career in journalism and travel the world.

Maddie Baker, Reporter
Maddie is a senior at Liberty High School. This is her third year on the publications staff, and is a reporter for both Magazine and Yearbook. Maddie likes to be involved school as well. She is a part of the Liberty Varsity Volleyball team, and she likes take pictures, and is also learning sign language....