Taking Action

Drivers Ed students take action and make sure you put down the phone while driving

(left to right) Nicole Krohn (10) and Julia Bailey (10) help run the event and stations for the distracted driving presentation.

photo submitted by Ms. Kleiber

photo submitted by Ms. Kleiber

Maddie Baker, Reporter

Distracted driving isn’t just texting while driving, there are many other factors that go into it as well. The Driver Ed class put together an event on May 3 in the cafeteria to help prevent the distractions that occur when driving and show you the consequences of it.

At the event, they had several games, food and a guest speaker. The guest speaker Mrs. Angela Grawer talked about her personal experience and how she was in an accident that was in a form of distracted driving.

The games were based on distracted driving as well. The games helped provide the fact that you can’t do everything at once, especially while driving.

“The distracted driving presentation started out as a class project, our class was to decide what we wanted to inform and educate our community on that involved driving and then how would we inform and educate the community on that topic,” senior Brianna Hill said. “Our class voted on distracted driving and while other students chose to do either posters or a video, we decided to do an assembly, not knowing we’d actually be putting one on. As we worked harder and found out more on the topic of distracted driving, we got more passionate about the event and wanted to make it the best we could in the small amount of time we had.”

The presentation took 2 ½ weeks to prepare and the sixth hour that had the most students attend also won a pizza party as well as learning about the dangers of distracted driving. Mrs. Jacks sixth hour ended up winning the pizza party.

“It was a great lesson for the students on accountability and improvising,” Ms. Kleiber said, who organized the event. “They learned a lot about planning, collaborating and how to make changes due to unforeseen problems.  It didn’t go as originally planned and there were a lot of challenges that they faced, but they pulled through and did a great job organizing their event.  They had a lot of great ideas and it was all their idea to do a presentation.”

About the Writer
Maddie Baker, Reporter
Maddie is a senior at Liberty High School. This is her third year on the publications staff, and is a reporter for both Magazine and Yearbook. Maddie likes to be involved school as well. She is a part of the Liberty Varsity Volleyball team, and she likes take pictures, and is also learning sign language....