Cloudy With a Chance of Chicken Strips

Food Expo 2018: LHS gets a new menu

Wentzville School District

A guest samples some free finger foods at a table during the Food Expo on May 5.

Gibson Mitchell, Reporter

You know you’re living the American dream when you walk into a room dedicated to and filled with over 40 vendors catering to your stomachs need with food.

The reason for the vendors and a feature of free samples is because the Wentzville School District has opted out of the National School Lunch Program for the 2018-19 school season. They will offer an expanded menu next year. 

The event took place at Liberty May 5 and was amazing.

Walking into the commons and cafeteria, the belly of our beloved school, was like walking into a field of flowers except for the fact that the flowers in this equation would be replaced by mac and cheese and chicken strips.

As a bold move to bring change to the student lunch menu, and to begin supplies for more wholesome and well rounded food options for the time to come, a bunch of families and small children dominated each and every stand starting from the front of the cafeteria and snaking around in a U shape to the other side.

Tables in the middle of the event provided space for small conversation and the room necessary for those voting on the food ballots when selecting their favorite part of their experience last Saturday had to offer. With healthy fruits and vegetables, milk, juices, and flavored water.

The event had even the many middle school kids that showed up excited and energized.

The process began with a large table stationed at the entrance of the commons, volunteers directing guests to each side depending on if they wanted a menu or a sort of voting ballot to decide which foods should stay or which should go.

Making my way around the U with five sophomores, a brand new red Prairie Farms bag, and stress ball shaped like an apple.

Eating my way through that day was such a fun experience that I will definitely never forget.

Although I am sad that this year will not implement the new food changes to come, I hope the next generation of students finds the hard work and effort a large group of vendors and locally owned produce farmers did to help make this progress possible.