Liberty Softball Goes 0-1-1 at Jamboree

Eagles drop game against district champs and tie Francis Howell Central

photo provided by Mr. Eldredge

Coach Flores talks to the softball team at the Liberty Jamboree Aug. 18.

Madison Pegg, Reporter

The LHS Eagles varsity softball team showed off their skills against Holt High School and Francis Howell Central on Aug. 18 at their kickoff jamboree at Liberty.

Starting off on the mound was Caitlin Rodriguez with Abigail Evans behind the plate. A total of five runs was scored by the Holt Indians the first game. Holt, the previous district champions, defeated Liberty 5-1 and in their first game.

Holt showed off their skills next against FHC in the next game driving in two runs in the first inning, scoring numerous runs in the second inning and continuing from there. Holt won the game easily and started off their season 2-0. Holt’s offense was strong and FHC couldn’t keep up.

Liberty faced FHC next with a very intense game. Liberty started off scoring one run in the first game with FHC tying it up later in the game. In the third inning with bases loaded and no outs, Liberty got out of a tight inning without surrendering any runs. Liberty played a good game but so did FHC, ending the game tied 1-1.

Although all three teams did satisfactory this weekend, Holt dominated. Liberty started off well and is looking to have a successful season. All three teams show great promise, with each team needing to improve on different areas.

Liberty has a tournament at Troy this upcoming weekend starting off Friday at 2 p.m.