C-SPAN Comes to Liberty

Traveling bus teaches students about government

Eric Mason

A C-SPAN representative talks to Ms. Holmes’ government students about C-SPAN.

Caleb Woods and Julia Bailey

What do you do when world-renowned C-SPAN comes to your school?

C-SPAN, which stands for Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network, airs the live proceedings in the U.S. House and Senate on TV, came to Liberty on Sept. 20.

The traveling C-SPAN bus teaches students about government and politics and Liberty was one of the few local schools selected for the exclusive event.

Jenae Green, who is C-SPAN’s marketing representative, was very pleased with the experience at Liberty.

“Liberty was recommended by Spectrum,” Green said. “C-SPAN was created by the cable industry so we reached out to our local outlets in the area.”  

Not only C-SPAN representatives were at Liberty, Missouri House Rep. Justin Hill (R) was also in attendance for the stop.

“It is my responsibility to protect your constitutional rights,” Hill said about his role as a representative.

Eric Mason
Junior Joe Deters interact with the tablets on the C-SPAN bus.

While some students sat and listened to Missouri House Rep and the C-SPAN presenters, other students were excited about the visit to Liberty.

Junior Dessa Outman got to interact with Representative Hill and utilize the different activities on the bus.

“I used the tablets that they had provided that showed you C-SPAN videos,” Outman said. “I think that it’s cool that we were one of many schools to explore the bus and learn more about government.”

Government teacher Ms. Holmes was sent to Washington this past summer, all expenses paid by C-SPAN.

“It was an incredible experience,” Holmes said. “I got to interact with teachers from all over the country.”

The C-SPAN bus has been to 41 of 50 state capitals in the U.S. and C-SPAN plans to continue the tour around the country.  

After their visit at Liberty, the C-SPAN bus was en route to McCluer North High School in Florissant.