Take a Stand

3rd annual Walk to Stop Heroin brings community members together

Bri Corgan

More than 500 people gathered at Holt High School for the Walk to Stop Heroin.

Ashley Haberberger, Reporter

More than 500 people participated in a 2.3 mile walk to raise awareness about the heroin epidemic in our community at Holt High School on Sept. 15.

Key Club helped out with the pancake breakfast before the walk started. They also helped to distribute t-shirts and count the number of participants at the event

Haleigh McCune
Senior Marjori Russo volunteered her time to provide participants with a free pancake breakfast.

“I was really surprised with how many people heroin has affected,” said sophomore Ianne Salvosa, a member of Key Club. “There are a lot of families who have had kids die from heroin. One drug can affect a lot of people.”

Heroin impacts people of all races, classes and backgrounds, but the youth has the most to lose. Donna Eberle’s nephew, Chad, was only 23 when he passed away from a heroin overdose in 2006.

“It’s important we get the message out, people need to be aware that heroin is an issue in our community,” Eberle said. “We’re losing our younger generations.”

Even people who haven’t been personally affected by heroin are trying to combat the epidemic.

“I just want to help, it’s better to do something than to do nothing,” sophomore Jessica Flynn said.

There’s a dangerous stigma surrounding drug addiction and we can end it with proper education.

“Educating our first responders and youth is the first step in ending the stigma surrounding drug addiction. Support for students empowers them to make safe choices,” said Lisa, a paramedic for the Wentzville area.

Community Resources United to Stop Heroin (CRUSH) sponsors the Walk To Stop Heroin and the St. Louis Drug Summit, which helps educate young teens and stop addiction before it starts.

Bri Corgan
Community members walked 2.3 miles on and around Wentzville Parkway.

The Substance Abuse Recovery Response Team is dedicated to helping addicts get the help they need. Addiction is a disease and should be treated like one.

According to statistics from the event, there were 606 overdoses in St. Charles County in the past year alone. There’s been a 248 percent increase in heroin deaths in recent years. Opioid overdoses take more lives than shootings and car crashes combined, which means there’s a heroin overdose every 25 minutes.

If you or someone you know are struggling with addiction, you can call 1-800-662-HELP.