They Don’t Only Assign Reading, They Do It Too

More than 30 teachers read “The Hate U Give” for a new Teacher Book Club

by Kelci Graville

Melana Quarles, Reporter

Have you noticed the signs in the hallway that say “This teacher is reading:”?  If you have, you probably have also noticed that they all are reading “The Hate U Give.”

Ms. Oliva, who is Liberty’s library media specialist, created the school’s first ever staff book club. The staff members who sign up will receive the book (to keep) and are invited to attend the meetings where there will be food. Besides the fact that it is a great book, “The Hate U Give” was chosen for other reasons as well.

“We are focused on trying to examine the lives of characters that have trauma because a big part of our Professional Development is trying to become more trauma informed as a staff, so I thought, let’s actually explore what that looks like, so we can better understand young people who have experienced trauma,” Oliva said.

“The Hate U Give” is about Starr Carter who is constantly switching between two worlds – the poor, mostly black neighborhood where she lives and the wealthy, mostly white prep school that she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is soon shattered when she witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend at the hands of a police officer. Facing pressure from all sides of the community, Starr must find her voice and decide to stand up for what’s right.

“The Hate U Give” is also a movie set to be released in theatres Oct. 5.

Out of the many teachers that are reading the book, Spanish teacher Ms. Tock is one of them.

“This book is highly recommended by Ms. Oliva,” Ms. Tock said. “We are becoming trauma informed at our school, and I know this story talks about a really traumatic event that happened in a student’s life so hopefully I can read it and start to relate to my students who are having similar issues.”

“The Hate U Give” is described as a “life-changing book” by Ms. Oliva and Ms. Dotson.

“It’s one of those books where I feel like if someone said what’s a book you wish every person would read that one is on the top of my list.”

This book is also being read by many students.

For many participants the club gives them not only professional gain but personal gain as well.

“Reading helps me to relax, I have a hard time sitting and settling down but when I have a book, I can escape and be in the moment,” Ms. Hall said.

Ms. Hall has finished the book and loved the story.

“I think it’s genius in that it expands my perspective on life challenges, people and cultures. There is no better way to understand someone’s situation than through a narrative or story,” she said.

The turnout for the club has been so good that soon students might be able to do it as well.

“There’s like 40 teachers in our book club which is huge,” Oliva said. “We were expecting that sort of reaction, and we have such positive feedback from teachers reading the book, and we may end up using that as a option for a student book club after the teachers are done with it.” 

The club’s first meeting will be held in the middle of October.