It’s Time to Vote

Some seniors are now able to register and vote

Jessica Gibson, Reporter

As students reach their senior year, they also reach the responsibilities that comes with it. Not only are they filling out college applications, they are registering to vote.

Any U.S citizen is able to register to vote at age 17 ½. You can’t vote until age 18, but it’s a good idea to register early.

“I already registered to vote,” senior Reed Sutton said. “I am excited to vote, it’s something new.”

With the midterm elections around the corner on Nov. 6, students should be aware of the deadlines to register. Each state has a different deadline date, but there are multiple ways to register. One can register online, in person, or through mail until Oct. 10.

“Yes, I’ve registered to vote,” said senior Jenna Parmentier. “I plan on voting in this coming election and I’m super excited.”

There are different candidates running for multiple positions. These are common names you might see around the area advertising to obtain voters.

U.S. Senator: Josh Hawley (R) and Claire McCaskill (D)

State Senate District 2: Bob Onder (R) and Patrice Billings (D)

State Representative District 3: Blaine Luetkemeyer (R) and Katy Geppert (D)

State House District 108: Justin Hill (R) and Betty Vining (D)

Everyone’s vote matters, and it’s important for students who are just becoming the age to realize that.

“I think students should vote,” said Mr. D’Antonio, a government teacher at Liberty. “The highest voting demographic is the older, 60+, and the lowest voter turnout is the youngest, 18-24. It seems kind of odd to me because you would think that since you are voting on your future representative, the younger of the voters would vote more than the older.”

In other words, the younger of the demographics should start voting more. Why does this election matter? Learn more about why your vote matters. 

For more information about the candidates in your area, go to: https://voteroutreach.sos.mo.gov/PRD/VoterOutreach/VOSearch.aspx