Surround Sound

Concert, treble select and chamber choirs perform first concert of the year

Emily+Grant%2C+Mya+Waldren%2C+Alison+Flitter%2C+Jaeda+Lee%2C+Dylan+Taylor+and+Cole+Allen+perform+as+part+of+chamber+choir+at+the+fall+choral+concert.+

Eradyn Bailey

Emily Grant, Mya Waldren, Alison Flitter, Jaeda Lee, Dylan Taylor and Cole Allen perform as part of chamber choir at the fall choral concert.

Emily Barnett, Reporter

Singing could be heard from all around and above the auditorium at the annual fall concert on Oct. 16.

Liberty’s concert, treble select and chamber choirs all performed at the event. With each choir performing a few songs and the concert lasting about an hour in total, a lot of preparation went into running things smoothly.

There were people on the catwalk, stage and in the audience. Nobody could get in past 7 p.m. to avoid disturbing the peace of the concert.

Choir teacher Ms. Kennedy explains that the process of preparing for the concert works like this: Introducing the new piece, breaking it down into parts, bringing it together and polishing it.

Sophomore Shaina Feinstein is in the treble select choir, an auditioned choir of all girls. She has been in choir at Liberty since freshman year, but overall since fourth grade. Learning the material can vary depending on the song and the content.

“It depends on the song. Tonight we added body percussion and it was 22 pages long,” Feinstein said about their last song. Overall, Feinstein thought the concert was pretty good.

Senior Cameron Jones had worked with Ms. Kennedy in the past and really enjoyed working with her. She recommended that he tried out and he did. This is his first year of choir and as a member of the chamber choir (auditioned choir of boys and girls). A lot of preparation in and out of class goes into preparing for concerts and competition. The chamber choir stayed after 4-5 days to practice last week.

“I feel like it was a great start to the year and I can’t wait for more concerts,” Jones said. 

Senior Caleb Woods is in his fourth year of high school choir and performs with the concert choir. Jumping up and down to get rid of the nerves before a concert is still an ongoing ritual for Woods.

“Even though I’m the only senior [in concert choir], I’m proud of all the guys and gals. They put on a good show,” Woods said.

There is still a lot to be done for the choir program in the upcoming years. The choir is supposed to have five classes, but only has enough students for three. Ms. Kennedy says she hopes to see it flourish but there needs to be more people to sing in choir. Other students feel the same way.

“I hope it grows and people are as excited about singing as I am,” Jones said.