Wall of Hate

An opinion on the actions of President Trump

Wall of Hate

Sruthi Ramesh, Reporter

In the midst of the Trump Era, we have finally reached that fated moment that was promised by the President during his campaign. We’re talking about building a wall.

As of Jan. 25, the government temporarily ended what is now the longest government shutdown in American history, lasting a record-breaking 34 days. Democrats and Republicans are both on disagreement on the terms of the “Mexico Wall,” and compromises aren’t making any progress. But the whole idea of the wall seemed to be a continuation of Trump’s whole slogan of “Make America Great Again,” often implying or outright saying that one of the major problems is immigrants. His xenophobia has thrown fuel into a fire that has been simmering even before 9/11.

This was represented in January 2018 when he signed the executive order that banned foreigners from seven predominantly Muslim countries from visiting the country, as well as any other refugees from coming into the country. This was eventually dubbed “The Muslim Ban.” Next, he repealed the Deferred Action Program for Dreamers (DACA).

These caused an uproar among the citizens, as the wall is now. In fact, even wall supporters are now disappointed and angry. Trump’s original claims included that Mexico would pay for the wall and that it would be made of concrete. And now he is pushing the idea that it will be paid for by our government, and that it will be made of steel, so “it benefits our American steel industry.”

Trump is known for saying very vulgar and offensive things toward Mexico and its people, such as “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best… They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,” assuming the worst about a country of millions.

He has also stated in a Tweet, “I love the Mexican people, but Mexico is not our friend. They’re killing us at the border and they’re killing us on jobs and trade. FIGHT!” How is it not possible to say that his motives are driven by bias and prejudice?

The only problem with the wall is… well… the whole thing. Drugs will not be stopped.

According to Timothy H. Kistner (a formal Homeland Security employee), most drugs get smuggled through legal ports of entry. Many illegal immigrants are those who have just simply overstayed their Visa, not those who have crossed treacherous terrain and vetting.

America has long been that land of opportunities for immigrants and a place where people come to live their dreams.  Can that be upheld with such a prominent sign of hatred?

About the Writer
Sruthi Ramesh, Reporter

Sruthi is a freshman at LHS, and this is her first year in journalism. But she has been writing for many years - most recently, poetry. She loves being...

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Wall of Hate”

1. Tyler Hudson on February 8th, 2019 11:21 am

Before writing articles like this, please fact check, and FALLACY check this. Many fallacious arguments are presented here. One such example of this is, “But the whole idea of the wall seemed to be a continuation of Trump’s whole slogan of “Make America Great Again,” often implying or outright saying that one of the major problems is immigrants.” When has a president of the United States ever said that immigration is a bad thing? The answer is: never. Illegal immigration is a bad thing. In the state of the union address Trump says, “Legal immigrants enriches our nation, and strengthen our society.” There is one key word in that: ‘legal’. President trump is building the wall in an attempt to reduce illegal immigration, not immigration. On top of that, Trump is married to an immigrant, from Sylvania. Guess what… his wife is a legal immigrant, not an illegal one.

I hope that next time you’ll fact and fallacy check your work.

2. Sruthi Ramesh on February 12th, 2019 2:06 pm

Tyler Hudson,
    Thank you for reading my story! I am very happy that you’re able to speak on behalf of thoughts that you believe, such as I am. I would just like to rebuttal a few of your statements. When I speak of implying the fact that our president doesn’t think very highly of immigrants, I am referencing the many acts he has repealed, changed, or put into place. As I stated in the article, he has instated the “Muslim ban” and repealed DACA. Both of these are clear cut images of what he is doing in favor of or against immigrants (legal in this case.) He also may state things in the State of the Union address, but that doesn’t always mean he believes in them. Actions speak louder than words. Finally, I’d like to finish off that, yes his wife is an immigrant. But this also cannot be fully taken into account, as when Trump speak of immigrants (legal or illegal) they are normally not white. He doesn’t seem to have a problem with or speak against immigrants from areas of European descent. This story is in the opinion section for a reason 🙂

3. Chris on February 18th, 2019 9:53 pm

Why is it that you call trump xenophobic?You can throw around words like “xenophobia”, but that’s not even close to true. Not wanting people who cheat the system in your country, is not xenophobic. The 7 countries in the “Muslim ban” were the same 7 high risk countries identified by the Obama administration. DACA is an unconstitutional anyways so we might as well get rid of it. Now, I do agree with you that the US government should not be paying for this wall but, Trump was very vague on how Mexico would pay for it. I think we should take money from Mexican drug cartel leaders, like El Chapo. Many illegals who cross the border, are rapists. Even the Huffington Post, a predominately liberal news source, admits that up to 80% of women and girls are raped on the journey of crossing the border. They also bring gangs like MS-13, whose motto is “rape, control, kill”.The wall isn’t aiming to stop illegal immigration, or drug trafficking, it is meant to slow them down enough so that border patrol can respond and intercept them. But when you say that many illegal immigrants come in through overstayed visas, they do but still, the majority of illegal aliens cross the border.

4. Catherine on February 19th, 2019 3:38 pm

How is this allowed on a public school website? There’s a difference between opinion and slander. Especially unpopular slander. Politics don’t belong in public school unless a child is specifically taking that class. Lawsuit inbound?

5. xxxtentacion on February 25th, 2019 1:08 pm

Sruthi whenever you claim that Trump has no problems with the immigrants from European descent…I wonder why. It is probably due to the fact that they are legally immigrating into the country compared to a vast majority of these “non white” immigrants coming from Mexico. It is more a matter of security issues and not racial ancestry.

6. Brooke Huffman on February 27th, 2019 12:51 pm

Amazing article Sruthi! Well researched, well written, well thought out, definitely a great addition to the website! Can’t wait to read more of your work!

7. Mollie on February 27th, 2019 12:51 pm

This is such a great story! Keep up the hard work!

8. Erick A. on February 28th, 2019 8:50 am

Come through Sruthiii!!! You are such an amazing writer. Keep up the great work! <3

9. Julia Bailey on March 4th, 2019 9:34 pm

Well written and researched, love the piece! Don’t let them tell you your opinion isn’t allowed on LHS Today.

10. Lizzie Kayser on March 13th, 2019 7:39 pm

This piece is so well written Sruthi! It is so important to not let your voice be silenced, and starting conversations like this is the first step in making a change. Keep up the good work!

11. Rhett douglas on March 13th, 2019 9:05 pm

Why are you calling it the”Muslim ban” ? President Trump only banned those 7 countries because of terrorists threats and had no intentions on being just Muslims . Also, when you talk about President Trump talking poorly on Mexico’s ILLEGAL immigrants , just remember they are a huge problem in rape, drugs, and take jobs of citizens . Just because he doesn’t say nice things about people who are hurting the country poorly doesn’t make a bad president . You also stated that supporters of President Trump are angry with him about the wall taking time . THE WALL COULD BE BUILT. It is not the Rebulicans fault that the Democrats ( people that preferably support abortion and socialism and look how that’s working in Europe.) have voted against it. Trump is doing the only thing in his power to push forward the agenda towards building the wall. You can’t just statefalse opinions about supporters and try to persuade people that Republicans are turning against President Trump when it’s the more opposite . Hillary was supposed to win by a landslide and many Democrats told Trump supporters to “Love Trumps Hate” . When Hillary lost , guess who rampaged the streets ? People are so soft these days and just because you don’t like something you hear or it offends you , doesn’t mean you need to lie and try to twist the minds of others . Trump only hates people who bring horrendous news to our country. I hope you wouldn’t like illegals coming to the country. People are deceived when they hear Trump hates certain races . Just because he doesn’t like people who are coming into the country illegally , doesn’t mean it’s race driven . Next time don’t use false information and include both sides .

12. Rhett Douglas on March 13th, 2019 9:27 pm

This is hard to read. So many false accusations and all opinion. 0 facts . You act like trump doesn’t like Muslims and just put a ban on the 7 countries to be mean. Those 7 countries were on watch because of terrorists threats. It wasn’t to “ban Muslims”. You have no clue what you are talking about and it’s terrible . Do more research next time and don’t bring false claims acting like President Trump dislikes Muslims.

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Coldwater Creek

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

A Need For Change

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Up For Interpretation

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Will These Three Be Slain In ‘Endgame?’

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

They See Me Rollin’

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Is Standardized Testing Really That Important?

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

The Importance Of Sleep

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Stop the Standard

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Vaccines Aren’t A Threat

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

More Than Meets the Eye

Wall of Hate