• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

Wall of Hate

An opinion on the actions of President Trump

Wall of Hate

Sruthi Ramesh, Reporter

In the midst of the Trump Era, we have finally reached that fated moment that was promised by the President during his campaign. We’re talking about building a wall.

As of Jan. 25, the government temporarily ended what is now the longest government shutdown in American history, lasting a record-breaking 34 days. Democrats and Republicans are both on disagreement on the terms of the “Mexico Wall,” and compromises aren’t making any progress. But the whole idea of the wall seemed to be a continuation of Trump’s whole slogan of “Make America Great Again,” often implying or outright saying that one of the major problems is immigrants. His xenophobia has thrown fuel into a fire that has been simmering even before 9/11.

This was represented in January 2018 when he signed the executive order that banned foreigners from seven predominantly Muslim countries from visiting the country, as well as any other refugees from coming into the country. This was eventually dubbed “The Muslim Ban.” Next, he repealed the Deferred Action Program for Dreamers (DACA).

These caused an uproar among the citizens, as the wall is now. In fact, even wall supporters are now disappointed and angry. Trump’s original claims included that Mexico would pay for the wall and that it would be made of concrete. And now he is pushing the idea that it will be paid for by our government, and that it will be made of steel, so “it benefits our American steel industry.”

Trump is known for saying very vulgar and offensive things toward Mexico and its people, such as “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best… They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,” assuming the worst about a country of millions.

He has also stated in a Tweet, “I love the Mexican people, but Mexico is not our friend. They’re killing us at the border and they’re killing us on jobs and trade. FIGHT!” How is it not possible to say that his motives are driven by bias and prejudice?

The only problem with the wall is… well… the whole thing. Drugs will not be stopped.

According to Timothy H. Kistner (a formal Homeland Security employee), most drugs get smuggled through legal ports of entry. Many illegal immigrants are those who have just simply overstayed their Visa, not those who have crossed treacherous terrain and vetting.

America has long been that land of opportunities for immigrants and a place where people come to live their dreams.  Can that be upheld with such a prominent sign of hatred?

About the Writer
Sruthi Ramesh, Reporter

Sruthi is a freshman at LHS, and this is her first year in journalism. But she has been writing for many years - most recently, poetry. She loves being...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Wall of Hate”

1. Tyler Hudson on February 8th, 2019 11:21 am

Before writing articles like this, please fact check, and FALLACY check this. Many fallacious arguments are presented here. One such example of this is, “But the whole idea of the wall seemed to be a continuation of Trump’s whole slogan of “Make America Great Again,” often implying or outright saying that one of the major problems is immigrants.” When has a president of the United States ever said that immigration is a bad thing? The answer is: never. Illegal immigration is a bad thing. In the state of the union address Trump says, “Legal immigrants enriches our nation, and strengthen our society.” There is one key word in that: ‘legal’. President trump is building the wall in an attempt to reduce illegal immigration, not immigration. On top of that, Trump is married to an immigrant, from Sylvania. Guess what… his wife is a legal immigrant, not an illegal one.

I hope that next time you’ll fact and fallacy check your work.

2. Sruthi Ramesh on February 12th, 2019 2:06 pm

Tyler Hudson,
    Thank you for reading my story! I am very happy that you’re able to speak on behalf of thoughts that you believe, such as I am. I would just like to rebuttal a few of your statements. When I speak of implying the fact that our president doesn’t think very highly of immigrants, I am referencing the many acts he has repealed, changed, or put into place. As I stated in the article, he has instated the “Muslim ban” and repealed DACA. Both of these are clear cut images of what he is doing in favor of or against immigrants (legal in this case.) He also may state things in the State of the Union address, but that doesn’t always mean he believes in them. Actions speak louder than words. Finally, I’d like to finish off that, yes his wife is an immigrant. But this also cannot be fully taken into account, as when Trump speak of immigrants (legal or illegal) they are normally not white. He doesn’t seem to have a problem with or speak against immigrants from areas of European descent. This story is in the opinion section for a reason 🙂

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Vaccines Aren’t A Threat

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

More Than Meets the Eye

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Should We Adjust The Extents Of Gender Binary Bathroom?

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Please Use the Car Rider Lane

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Should Teachers be Paid More?

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

American Beauty

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Love that Makes the World Go Round

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Going Out

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Who Needs a Paycheck Anyway?

• Wall of Hate

Opinion

Should Scheduling Change?

Wall of Hate