• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

Should Scheduling Change?

School districts may want to consider moving to block scheduling formats

Most+public+high+schools+like+Liberty+have+traditional+bell+schedules+where+classes+meet+each+day.+However%2C+there+are+benefits+to+block+scheduling+formats.+

Should Scheduling Change?

Most public high schools like Liberty have traditional bell schedules where classes meet each day. However, there are benefits to block scheduling formats.

Allison Holtschlag

Allison Holtschlag

Allison Holtschlag

Allison Holtschlag, Reporter

Every single school in America has around a seven hour day, with only 51 minutes per hour. Many students have not been able to get through all their work in class because of how long lessons may take. Should classes get changed to block scheduling?

Block scheduling is a little bit different than most normal schedules. You would only have around four classes per day varying the day. One day may consist of first, third, fifth and seventh hour and the next may consist of second, fourth, sixth and eighth. Compared to the normal version, you would have longer class periods where you are able to work on classwork within the longer time.

This version would give the time for teachers to help out students with the struggles they may have. Classes like science could do labs in one day compared to two. Not to mention, you could do activities and also have time for homework.

The biggest thing that students deal with is having pile loads of work to do after school and staying up late at night to work on it all. This system would give students a whole other day to finish homework.

Not only would time be extended, scores would improve. “Evidence shows that students’ grades improve and the number of students on the honor roll increases,” according to the American Association Of School Administrations. This would help all the kids finally understand what is being taught.

The biggest issue would be how hard it is to teach for over an hour. But truth is, after the switch, many like the change and how much time they really have in the day. I believe American schools should all change to this system to provide better education to the students.

Allison Holtschlag, Reporter

Allison Holtschlag is a sophomore and this is her first year in the publication staff. Allison is involved in color guard (currently co-captain), helps...

1 Comment

One Response to “Should Scheduling Change?”

1. Mason Johnson on February 7th, 2019 11:53 am

I am a fan of this idea. However, there are some contrasting points that need to be brought up. The largest issue is the fact that school cancellations could jumble the whole schedule, and we would need to build in an even amount of days. Secondly, some teachers only teach a single class during a single period, which would make classes small and awkward due to the students having to be split among 2 days, and those classes are (usually) small already. The block schedule has been proven to work, and I hope that if the district changes they address the 2 problems I listed above.

– Mason Johnson, Certified Human Being
    [email protected]
    Don’t email me after 8:00 PM, because that’s my bedtime.

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Vaccines Aren’t A Threat

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

More Than Meets the Eye

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Wall of Hate

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Should We Adjust The Extents Of Gender Binary Bathroom?

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Please Use the Car Rider Lane

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Should Teachers be Paid More?

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

American Beauty

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Love that Makes the World Go Round

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Going Out

• Should Scheduling Change?

Opinion

Who Needs a Paycheck Anyway?

Should Scheduling Change?