Should Scheduling Change?

School districts may want to consider moving to block scheduling formats

Most+public+high+schools+like+Liberty+have+traditional+bell+schedules+where+classes+meet+each+day.+However%2C+there+are+benefits+to+block+scheduling+formats.+

Allison Holtschlag

Most public high schools like Liberty have traditional bell schedules where classes meet each day. However, there are benefits to block scheduling formats.

Allison Holtschlag, Reporter

Every single school in America has around a seven hour day, with only 51 minutes per hour. Many students have not been able to get through all their work in class because of how long lessons may take. Should classes get changed to block scheduling?

Block scheduling is a little bit different than most normal schedules. You would only have around four classes per day varying the day. One day may consist of first, third, fifth and seventh hour and the next may consist of second, fourth, sixth and eighth. Compared to the normal version, you would have longer class periods where you are able to work on classwork within the longer time.

This version would give the time for teachers to help out students with the struggles they may have. Classes like science could do labs in one day compared to two. Not to mention, you could do activities and also have time for homework.

The biggest thing that students deal with is having pile loads of work to do after school and staying up late at night to work on it all. This system would give students a whole other day to finish homework.

Not only would time be extended, scores would improve. “Evidence shows that students’ grades improve and the number of students on the honor roll increases,” according to the American Association Of School Administrations. This would help all the kids finally understand what is being taught.

The biggest issue would be how hard it is to teach for over an hour. But truth is, after the switch, many like the change and how much time they really have in the day. I believe American schools should all change to this system to provide better education to the students.