Going to the Next Level

Senior student-athletes are preparing for going to college

Going to the Next Level

Seniors Emma Riley, Chase Krogman and Jack Kavanaugh are all preparing on becoming a college student-athlete.

photos by Derrick Dockett, Katie Hill, and Alyssa Fay

Nick Howard, Reporter

For four years of high school, the senior athletes at Liberty High School are getting prepared for the next chapter of their lives. The ones who have done their work in practices and studied at home have prepared to take their athletic talents on to college.

Many student athletes have had to work constantly to get to this point of their lives. Having almost no time for free time during their seasons has been a difficult task.

Senior Chase Krogman is getting ready to start his final season of Liberty baseball before going to Missouri State University. He is relieved that all of his work in the classroom and on the field has finally paid off to get where he is at today.

“It feels like a relief and there’s less stress knowing that I’ve almost made it to college,” Krogman said.

There are senior athletes who won’t be attending college in Missouri as well. To start a new chapter in their athletic careers far away from home and their friends might be difficult at first. Senior Emma Riley, who has finished her last season of volleyball at Liberty, plans on attending an out-of-state university and she has mixed feelings about preparing for it.

“Moving away from my friends is going to be hard, but it’s good to have a new start somewhere,” Riley said.

Preparing for college as a student is difficult in general. Having to get ready for what’s to come after high school academically and athletically can be even more stressful.

Senior Jack Kavanaugh has gotten the hardest part out of the way and has committed to Missouri Baptist University for soccer. To get ready to attend and compete at the university he gets his advice from people who currently attend the school.

“I ask current students what the workload is like and what I need to do to handle both school and soccer,” Kavanaugh said.

As these athletes countdown their final days before graduation and continuing their athletic success, the scholarships they earn to play at the next level is something that they have waited for most of their lives.

About the Writer
Nick Howard, Reporter

Nick Howard is a senior and is in his second year in the publications staff. He is a videographer and also works in coverage for Liberty sports. He likes...