The Face Behind the Proposals

Heather McClanahan’s Proposal Business

This+is+the+poster+for+Fleschmann+from+Fuhremann+for+homecoming.+The+highlighted+words+are+the+song+titles+from+her+favorite+musical%2C+Hamilton.+

This is the poster for Fleschmann from Fuhremann for homecoming. The highlighted words are the song titles from her favorite musical, Hamilton.

Cari Schaeffer, Reporter

Heather McClanahan
Heather McClanahan

One of the most dreamed about experience of homecoming or prom, is getting asked. The proposal sets the tone for how your homecoming experience will go. Guys either create their own or they get help from other girls. One of the faces behind many proposals around the Wentzville area is junior Heather McClanahan.

“I’m creative and I like putting things like this together and to help guys who are having troubles, but also seeing these girls happy through this,” McClanahan said when asked why she started her business.

McClanahan has been helping ordinary guys go to homecoming with their dream date just by her creative ideas. She started helping these guys out last year, but didn’t start charging and actually making a business out of it till this year. For homecoming, the fee to have her coordinate an idea is $10 + supplies and prom is $15 + supplies.

The process to the perfect proposal starts out with her sitting down with the guy and getting information about the girl’s interests, so it will be more personal to the girl during the proposal. After she comes up with an idea, it’s time to execute it and she mostly does it alone unless she needs help holding a sign or needs permission from a coach or teacher for a more public proposal.

She’ll need materials to make her plan come to life and she usually goes to Walmart for posters, but if the guy wants to spend a little extra, she’ll go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels for better materials.

Senior Evan Fuhremann is a happy customer of Heather’s since last year when he first came to her needing her help. He found her business on Twitter and jumped at the opportunity for help. He has again come to seek her help and with an idea in mind.

“It is very helpful because guys aren’t that creative,” Fuhremann said.

Fuhremann plans on asking Zoe Fleschman, sophomore at Liberty, to homecoming this year and his idea involved the musical, Hamilton, because that is Fleschman’s favorite musical and he also wants to take her out to her favorite restaurant the night of the proposal.

McClanahan said that her success rate is, “one girl out of almost 20 guys, said no.” Her business has been flourishing and hopefully there will be plenty more customers for her and plenty more happy girls for those guys out there.