• May 2 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 10, Lutheran St. Charles - 1
  • May 2 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 3, Holt - 1
  • May 2 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 3, Troy - 0
  • Apr 30 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 4, Zumwalt East - 0
  • Apr 29 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, Troy - 0

Liberty and North Point ‘Band’ Together in Chicago

Both bands went on a trip to Chicago to learn and see sights
Brielle Vassel
A picture of Chicago taken from the top of the Hancock Tower.

The Liberty band had the opportunity to travel to Chicago from March 22-24 along with North Point’s band and choir  Not only did they visit some epic sights and landmarks, they also got some good feedback from the music clinic they went to.

Each school’s students chose their own groups of 7 or 8 people that they had to be around the whole trip. Each group was accompanied by one chaperone. Multiple groups were allowed to hang with each other, as long as separated into their own when they needed to do their own things.

In this article, you are not only getting a story of the events, but you are also getting personal stories from two of the band kids. 

Day 1:

After picking up North Point, the motor coach comes to Liberty. Then began the five hour trip to Chicago. After stopping around the 2 ½  hour mark, for a quick break, they drove on. At the four hour mark they reached Buca Di Beppo, an Italian restaurant, before driving the final stretch to our hotel. They had to pick roommates beforehand and three or four people to a room. Boys and girls were separated of course, and there were chaperones making sure the students were not to leave their room early. 

Inside the Buca Di Beppo Italian restaurant. (Brielle Vassel)

Brielle’s side- My parents have talked about Buca Di Beppo. They kept telling me how wonderful the food was. I was not disappointed. The food was awesome and the staff was amazing as well. 

Gabriella’s side- The food was amazing and the restaurant was very visually interesting. It was filled with a lot of interesting artworks and it was overall a nice place after the five hour drive. 

Day 2: 

After resting up, both schools headed to the Museum of Science and Industry. 

Sophomore Connor Velleca told us that “going to the Museum of Science and Industry” happened to be his favorite part of the trip. There were so many things there, from a James Bond museum, featuring some memorabilia used in the movies, to a mirror maze. Prior to leaving, we all took a big group photo in front of an old train.

From there, we went to the Navy Pier. You could shop in the indoor mall, go on the ferris wheel, and so much more. What seemed to be one of the most popular things amongst our schools was the “Build-A-Bear,” located in the mall. Even Mrs. Magno, one of Liberty’s band directors, got a stuffed animal Hedgehog that she named Pierre. (After the Navy Pier, get it?)

Front row: Muddy Puddles, Frank, Thomas, Navy
Back row: Bella Iezzi, Kylie Honerkamp, Audrey Keller, Lucy Bowen . (Mrs. Audra Stewart)

Both schools left the Navy Pier to head to their 75-minute clinic with Dr. Stacy Dolans, at the VanderCook College Of Music. She gave a lot of beneficial feedback. It was cool seeing both of the bands together. They performed the pieces, “The Great Locomotive Chase” by Robert W. Smith, “Declaration overture” By Claude T. Smith, and “Ammerland” By Jacob De Haan. They learned a lot of things, for example Sadie Dunlap said, “The clinician taught us that percussion is an ensemble within itself.” 

From there, they went back to the Navy Pier for dinner at Harry Caray’s, before heading to their final destination of the night before the hotel, The Blue Man Group. The Blue Man Group is an all percussionist group that tours around the nation. They never talk onstage, but they do percussion the entire time. They have some audience interaction and are overall a hilarious group

Brielle Vassel – As a percussionist, I love percussion. I have always loved drums and have enjoyed watching percussion movies such as “Drumline” and “ Stomp.” So when one of the front row was too scared to go to the front, I jumped at the chance. I went from my previous seat in the back to the right front row. I was right by the stairs and got to see the men whenever they walked off stage or near me. It was everything I hoped for. I even bought some drumsticks with their logo that I can use.

Gabriella Young – VanderCook College of Music was such a cool place to visit especially as a freshman it was really cool to hear about the program. The clinician gave such valuable advice and the clinic was helpful overall.

After that, they went to the hotel for their final stay of the trip. 

The Navy Pier taken from the top of a ferris wheel. (Brielle Vassel)

They started the day at the Hancock Tower and went on the tilt (a signature Chicago tourist sight and Chicago’s biggest thrill ride). They then walked the Magnificent Mile and went to many shops along the way. After a long day of hanging out within their groups and having lunch they loaded the bus one last time and went home. Overall it was an educational, fun and eye-opening experience.

Gabriella’s final thoughts-  I learned a lot on the trip. It was really a chance at independence and the first time for many that far away from their parents for that long. It was a wonderful opportunity that I was lucky enough to have and I hope that the band programs and others can continue to do trips like this in the future.

Brielle’s final thoughts – I loved this trip. I learned a ton about Chicago and percussion. I loved the sights and seeing it with people I know made the trip all the more special. I loved my group and felt like if I had been put in a different one, I would have probably had a very different experience. I would 100% recommend going to Chicago.