This Movie Sure Is Romantic

Rebel Wilson’s new movie hits theaters with a storm

This Movie Sure Is Romantic

Movie releases in 2019 so far have started off with a bang with movies such as “A Star Is Born” and “How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World” but the most recent to hit theaters is Rebel Wilson's first lead role movie, “Isn’t It Romantic.”

Shae Bowsher

Shae Bowsher

Shae Bowsher

Shae Bowsher, Reporter

Note: Spoilers ahead

Movie releases in 2019 so far have started off with a bang with movies such as “A Star Is Born” and “How To Train Your Dragon: Hidden World” but the most recent to hit theaters is Rebel Wilson’s first lead role movie, “Isn’t It Romantic.”

“Isn’t It Romantic” is your classical romantic comedy that pokes fun at how all romantic comedies are. The producers even went as far as watching 90 of these films over a course of two weeks.

The story follows Rebel’s character, Natalie, through getting mugged which resulted in her hitting her head and putting her into a coma. As Natalie is in a coma, she’s placed into her worst nightmare; a romantic comedy. She soon finds out that she has to make someone fall in love with her to get out of this situation. Through trial and error, she finds out that she didn’t need some guy to fall in love with her to get out. She needs to love herself. As she wakes up from her 18 hour long coma, she finds love for herself and starts to become the person she’s always wanted to be; not letting her poor self esteem pull her down.

Going into the movie, most thought it would be too cheesy and annoying. However, it surprised me, I loved it. This movie’s comedy was fresh and not overused. I also loved the message it had about how you don’t need someone to feel loved, you should love yourself. Also, you don’t need someone who will just change you, you’ll find someone who will love you for you.

This movie brings a fresh look at love movies; instead of the lovey dovey movies, it shows a real situation that many people struggle with: self-love.  

I would give this movie four out of five stars, because of its unique take on on the topic of love opposed to other movies in this genre. I also believe the producers picked the best actors for their roles.

The only thing I would say could be changed and/or fixed was how predictable the movie was, although I think that was somewhat intended. I had figured out the plot and the ending within 20 minutes of watching the movie. Although that may sound upsetting, I can tell you; the movie is worth watching.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars