Let’s Make History

The varsity girls soccer team wins their first district title against Helias Catholic

The+varsity+girls+soccer+team+celebrates+their+first+ever+district+championship+when+they+defeated+Helias+5-1+Monday+at+Liberty.+

LHS Soccer

The varsity girls soccer team celebrates their first ever district championship when they defeated Helias 5-1 Monday at Liberty.

Abby Jordan, Reporter

With a new lineup of athletes, the varsity soccer girls can definitely say this season the team has gained a whole new mentality towards accomplishing their goals. With new ambitious players along with motivated coaches, the team’s new boost of confidence has given them a more positive outlook on and off the field. Despite numerous injuries this season, the team was able to keep a positive state of mind and push forward.

On Coach Kleekamp’s birthday, the girls earned their first ever district championship against Helias Catholic 5-1 Monday at Liberty. During the first district game against Hannibal, Liberty dominated with a score of 5-2 with sophomore Chloe Netzel scoring 4 goals with the assist of junior Anna Fulhorst and sophomore Kendall Weber.

In the second match against Helias Catholic, the game was scoreless until 8 minutes left in the first half when Netzel scored the first goal of the game. Liberty would extended their lead to 2-0 going into halftime, when Anna Fulhorst scored an additional goal. Netzel scored 3 additional scores, securing the win. After an astonishing victory, students gathered onto the field to congratulate the team.

“Districts was my last home game at Liberty and definitely is ranked as my best high school memory. The game was a bittersweet ending to our season. I cried a little,” team captain senior Elisabeth Roberts said.

Netzel, who transferred this school year from St. Charles High School in Chicago, was a major contribution to the team. Netzel has been playing premier soccer in Chicago and Maryland since she was 3. Living in multiple states, Netzel has learned various techniques and tips from numerous mentors from across the U.S.

Liberty has allowed Netzel to challenge herself and to expand her athletic capabilities. She has a team leading 30 goals on the season. 

“Chloe has a tremendous asset for the team and program. She is super talented and has a great work ethic. We are proud and happy to have her as a part of our family,” Coach Raziq said.

The girls will compete at the sectional level next week  against St. Dominic or Fort Zumwalt South. Based on the outcome of that match, Liberty (10-10-1 overall record) plays the winner of the 3rd match in sectionals on May 21st – place TBD. We will update you when we have further information regarding game times and schools.