How Much Is Too Much?

Is Apple going to give us a truly new iPhone instead of a normative critique?

The+iphone+12+will+be+released+with+five+different+colors+to+choose+from.+

Apple Inc.

The iphone 12 will be released with five different colors to choose from.

Emily Coffin, Reporter

When the first iPhone (also known as the iPhone 2G and iPhone 1) was released, 11 years ago, the starting price was $499. Which was unreasonably high for Apple’s competitors. As the years go on and more ideas are flying through the air, Apple hasn’t set an official iPhone 12 release date yet, but Apple launches its new phones almost metronomically, and while every year there’s a rumor of it changing, it’s always held to a similar time. 

Most of what we know about the new iPhone 12 so far comes addressed in a report by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who forecasts four different iPhone 12 models for 2020. One at 5.4 inches, two at 6.1 inches and the largest variant measuring 6.7 inches. However, it’s also said to be thinner, apparently coming in at 7.4mm thick, while the iPhone 11 Pro Max is 8.1mm thick. 

“I feel like with this new iPhone there will be better quality with the speed and camera but all of the different sizes are unnecessary and it’ll break if it gets too skinny,” said sophomore Andrew Davis. 

One other report has also suggested Face ID will be dropped entirely in favor of an under-screen fingerprint recognition anywhere on the display. The front camera notch, on the other hand, has vanished. If this happens we’d expect it to be the most expensive iPhone 12 model that has this feature. As well as all iPhone 12 models shipping with 5G networking capability, which means you wouldn’t have to necessarily step up to an iPhone 12 Pro Max to enjoy faster downloads.

“It’s kind of pointless to have four cameras. Next thing you know there’s gonna be eight cameras like just buy a regular camera and keep the actual needs for a phone basic,” said sophomore Payton Russo. 

With all of these new upgrades, you’d think the battery will drain right away but the iPhone 12 may feature a new super tiny fast iPhone 12 charger that uses gallium nitride technology to deliver 65 watts of power. The innovation has supposedly come from Korean company ITM Semiconductor and will make both Apple and Samsung with a new 50% smaller battery protection module which will not only be saving space inside the phone but could also lead to bigger batteries without increasing the size of the handset.

Now, when it comes to the iPhone 12 price, it’s likely to stay broadly in line with the current models. For reference, the iPhone 11 starts at $699, the iPhone 11 Pro starts at $999, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max starts at $1,099. 

On the other hand, there’s also the outside chance that the novel coronavirus outbreak in China (where the iPhone is usually manufactured) may impact the production of the next iPhone. So with all of these rumors and eager customers hopefully we will soon be able to see the true and new iPhone 12.