Wakanda Forever

We May Have Lost the Panther, but We Will Never Forget What he Left Behind

Chadwick+Boseman+speaks+at+the+the+2017+San+Diego+Comic+Con.+

Wikipedia Commons

Chadwick Boseman speaks at the the 2017 San Diego Comic Con.

Elizabeth Hamby, Assistant Editor

On Aug. 28, Chadwick Boseman died from his four-year battle from colon cancer. Throughout all his latest films he was battling an invisible battle. 

Best known for portraying the “Black Panther” in four Marvel movies, Boseman also portrayed Jackie Robinson in the film “42”, and James Brown in “Get On Up”. 

He was a black icon that many people of color looked up to for how courageous he was, especially in his portrayal of King T’Challa in “Black Panther”. 

In 2016, Boseman was diagnosed with stage three colon cancer, but this didn’t stop him from continuing his acting career.

“I think he was an incredible actor, even more so because he was able to film in between treatments and hide it from the world. I don’t think anyone will ever be able to replace the spot he’s made in our hearts,” sophomore Natalie Hoffman said. 

At one point he got tons of backlash and confusion from fans from being “deathly skinny”, when in reality it was because of the chemo and the effects of his cancer. 

He was very private with his struggles, especially when stage three progressed to stage four cancer. While struggling with his own battle, Boseman actively visited hospitals to give hope and spend time with young cancer patients. 

In response to his death, St. Jude Children’s Hospital tweeted: “We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of our friend Chadwick Boseman. Two years ago, Chadwick visited the St. Jude campus and brought with him not only toys for our patients but also joy, courage, and inspiration. He was an incredible role model for our patients and children from all around the world.”

One thing will never change though, the famous line and gesture Wakanda Forever will forever stay in our heart, now used as an “I see you” for people of color. (Wikipedia Commons)

During the filming of “Black Panther”, he talked about keeping in contact with two terminally ill boys that were just trying to hold on for the film to come out. Boseman was honored that they anticipated something they thought would be great. 

Just as “Black Panther” opened the door for black superheroes, Chadwick hoped to open more doors for black actors and creators.

“Chadwick was an inspirational man. He did so much to make others smile even when he was going through stage three colon cancer. Every day it’s a shock that he has passed,” junior London Powell, an avid Marvel fan said. 

One thing will never change though: the famous line and gesture “Wakanda Forever” will forever stay in our hearts, now used as an “I see you” for people of color. Chadwick, we love you; rest in power, king.