Key Club Promotes 2020 Voter Drive

Virtual Service Project Hopes to Increase Community Engagement in the Upcoming Election

Sabryn Gibson

Secretary of Key Club Elizabeth Hamby hangs up a voting drive QR code.

Sabryn Gibson, Reporter

Key club has been anxiously waiting to start a service project ever since the year started and the students have agreed to do a voter drive for the upcoming November elections. Key club’s hope for the voter drive is to increase community engagement in the election and encourage young voters to vote this year. 

Due to COVID restrictions, Key club couldn’t do their normal hands-on service project so the voter drive is perfect for this year.

With upcoming elections, there are so many kids that either turned 18 and don’t know how to vote or aren’t registered to vote, so we thought it would be a cool way to let everybody have a say in government.

— Mr. Barker

“We wanted to do a service project and find a way to empower young people and give them a voice,” club sponsor Mr. Barker explained. 

The Key club is a student-driven club so the voter drive was thought up and put into action all by the students. Members hung up QR codes linking directly to Missouri’s voter registration page. You can find these all over Liberty, on Nest News boards and the students also put them in teacher’s mailboxes. 

The QR code works with any smartphone, and it only takes a couple of minutes to register to vote.

“With upcoming elections, there are so many kids that either turned 18 and don’t know how to vote or aren’t registered to vote, so we thought it would be a cool way to let everybody have a say in government,” Mr. Barker said.

Key club is very beneficial for not only students but our community as well. Most service projects are to raise money for those in need and help anyone who needs it. Key Club prepares kids for their future and teaches them leadership skills. Students learn the value of doing good for others. Mr. Barker loves being able to see the students grow into leaders and seeing them express themselves. 

Key Club is a club for everyone, there is no GPA requirement- it is just about wanting to help other people and do good in your community. Email Mr. Barker if you’d like to join.