Craig Places At Wrestling State Championship

Boys and girls wrestling team attended state meet from Feb. 17-19

Matt+Craig+%2811%29+was+named+the+district+champion+on+Feb.+13.+He+went+on+to+finish+second+at+state.+

via @EagleWrestle Twitter

Matt Craig (11) was named the district champion on Feb. 13. He went on to finish second at state.

Blake Cunningham, Reporter

One of Matt Craig’s goals this year was to make the state finals in wrestling. And he did just that. 

Craig finished as state runner-up in Class 4 heavyweight division. He was later named as the GAC Central conference wrestler of the year. 

“My goal was to make it to the finals and hopefully win. I didn’t exactly meet that but I still made the finals,” Craig said. “My record at state was 3-1 lost in the finals. My record for the year ended at 47-5. This has been my best year of wrestling in high school so far. I won five tournaments and went 47-5, I also hit my 100th win this season.” As a junior, Craig still has one more season to go. He joins Wyatt Haynes and Christian Zeik as the best state finish in school history. Haynes and Zeik also placed second. 

“The goal for next year is to win state,” he said.  

In addition to Craig, five other wrestlers made it to state: Shawn Perkins, Brendan Kelly, Justin Little, Trenton Williams, and Caroline Ward.

Like Craig, Perkins is also a junior and hopes to “place at the state tournament next year.”

Prior to state, the Eagles had a strong district performance. As a team, this was the first year the wrestling team moved up to Class 4 and finished sixth overall at districts.