Spring Sports At Liberty Are In Full Swing

As winter sports come to a close, Liberty’s spring sports have begun

Sydney Davis

Liberty’s baseball team practicing for the spring season.

Sydney Davis, Reporter

All spring sports began/had tryouts on Feb. 28 and athletes officially started their seasons. The athletes who trained in the offseason will be in better shape to start practice.    

Track coach Webster affirmed that “there’s nothing better than training in the off-season.” Webster mentioned that when you train, always have a purpose. “Come to practice wanting to achieve something.” 

He stands by the mantra, “If you’re gonna do something, make it count… Getting better requires action.”

Boys tennis coach Campos, wants Liberty’s tennis team to remain the GAC champions and hopefully bring six players to compete. 

In regards to weather affecting how the players practice, Campos stated, “for those that understand and make adjustments, it doesn’t.” 

The offseason is very important for tennis players because it changes how well they can hit and it gives them the ability to see how much they have grown from season to season. 

One of Liberty’s senior tennis players, Sam Arrington avowed that his offseason was great but he broke his foot, so he had to begin his offseason in January. Arrington stated that the offseason was very helpful to keep the rust off. 

“It’s great getting back into the season, especially with the group of guys we have on the team,” Arrington said. “Many of us aren’t tennis players on teams outside of school, so it’s great that we can all play our main sports in the offseason.”

The freshman team’s baseball coach Wheeler brought out that the weather in Missouri plays a large role in playing.

“In Missouri, it’s very common for windy weather. It’s cold, it’s damp, it’s just a part of the beginning of baseball season,” Wheeler said. 

Wheeler wants his players to always be prepared for the weather. The team’s goal is to remain undefeated, but still have a good season and have a lot of fun playing. 

Liberty’s boys golf team had its first tournament against Saint Charles at 8 a.m. on Monday, March 21 at the Bogey Hills Country Club. Its second tournament is at 8:30 a.m. at the Falls Golf Club on Friday, March 25  against Fort Zumwalt South.

The girls soccer team will have its first game on March 15 at St. Charles High School at 4 p.m.

More information about Liberty’s spring sports:

https://sites.google.com/wsdr4.org/lhs-athletics/spring-sports 

https://www.gatewayathletic.org/public/genie/766/school/314/date/2022-03-06/view/month/