A visit to KMOV-News 4

Liberty High School Journalism visits KMOV

Mr. Hall

The journalism class took a field trip to KMOV-Channel 4 where they learned about how a news station works and get helpful advice from professional journalists themselves.

Caleb Woods, Audio Editor/Reporter

It’s just an ordinary Monday for most students. But to the journalists of Liberty High School, it’s a day they were able to get out of the classroom and observe a real world work environment.

Liberty visited KMOV in downtown St. Louis on Monday, April 24.

When they entered Gateway Tower off of Memorial Drive, they were greeted by their tour guide Zach Dalin, who works in the marketing department at KMOV.

As they walked into KMOV, the first thing they observed was the newsroom. The newsroom was where the anchors, reporters and other personalities work on their stories in order to put it on the air.

At the center of the newsroom, there was a large monitor that displayed the top stories on KMOV.com and the KMOV app (which by the way, is free in the app store). This provides a live update of how many users are reading each story at that exact time.

The students also were able to see the types of cameras that the photographers used.

photo by Mr. Hall
Tour guide Zach Dalin shows how KMOV tracks live data on KMOV.com and the KMOV app.

While at KMOV, the students were able to visit Studio A, which is the Great Day St. Louis set. Great Day St. Louis is KMOV’s home show with tip and tricks that you can do by yourself. The show is hosted by Laura Hettiger, Kent Ehrhardt and Matt Chambers and airs on KMOV at 9-10 a.m.

KMOV is a CBS affiliate. KMOV pays CBS to show their programming on St. Louis television. So if the local newscast goes over by a second, they can’t show it because right after the news it’s daytime television distributed by CBS.

Students were also able to observe the live noon newscast.

As many times an anchor says something, it is usually scripted, but not the meteorologists. The meteorologists just talk without a script because weather can change instantly. The person who makes the script is the producer. The class met producer Tyler Klaus, who comes to work everyday at 2:30 a.m. to write and produce a newscast as early as 4 a.m.

photo by Mr. Hall
Tyler Klaus, the producer, watches carefully to see if everything is according to plan.

After all of the touring, the students finally got to see the end of the noon news.

After the newscast was completed, students were able to ask the anchor, Claire Kellett, questions on being an anchor and working for KMOV.

photo by Mr. Hall
Claire Kellett (left) and Meghan Danahey (right) do a live broadcast together.

Kellett went to journalism school at the University of Missouri-Columbia to study to become an anchor. Kellett, who is the anchor for the noon, 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. newscast wants the deliver the newscast like she is in the viewer’s home in person.

“I want to be with the viewers, even though I’m not there with them, I want it to be friendly and nice and I want to guide the viewers on what is happening in the St. Louis area,” Kellett said.

She also gave advice about how aspiring broadcast journalists need to learn everything about the news production process.

“Learn each and every positions to be better at your job,” Kellett said.

Jonathan Hall (left) and Caleb Woods (right) pretend to be newscasters for KMOV. Caleb didn’t know when the picture was going to be taken, so his eyes are closed.