The Polar Opposite Twins

Lily and Olivia Plotnitskiy are twins through and through, but these twins are opposite of each other in every other way
submitted by Olivia Plotniyskiy
Lily (on the left) and Olivia (on the right) pose in their homecoming dresses on the bridge at Broemmelsiek Park.

Twins? You would think someone who says they are a twin means they look completely identical to one another, possibly dress alike, eat the same things, and do everything together. In the case of the Plotnitskiy twins, that is opposite of what they are.

Lily and Olivia consider themselves to be opposite. Lily is the taller twin, more outgoing, has brighter hair, dresses more in a street/bougie style, and whose favorite color is pink. Olivia is the shorter twin, more of an introverted person, is a vegetarian, has a darker hair color, who prefers to dress in a more comfortable style, and whose favorite color is blue. Mary Paige, who is a friend of both twins, stated, “they are mostly different, but similar in their own ways.”

Lily Plotnitskiy on the vault event at her gymnastics competition. (submitted by Lily Plotnitskiy)

Olivia participates in horse backing riding at Boxwood Equestrian. “It’s a challenge to

Olivia Plotnitskiy on her equestrian horse named Carol jumping over a log fence during competition. (submitted by Olivia Plotnitskiy)

my mind and my body,” Olivia said. For her thoroughbred horse named Quinn, she has to groom him, pay for his stuff, and exercise him. For competitions she rides him at local schooling shows in which she has to wear tan breeches, a white show shirt, black show coat, black gloves, black tall boots, her black helmet with a black hair net underneath. She stated, “when riding a horse it’s challenging but freeing.”

When asked for fun what would happen if she and her sister switched sports for a day, Olivia commented, “I think I could attempt her sport, but I don’t think she would enjoy mine.”

Lily participates in gymnastics at GymQuarters. “It’s fun because I get to see my friends and move my body,” Lily said. She has traveled to Baton Rouge, Nashville, Memphis, Chicago, and Kansas City for many different gymnastics competitions. She competes in every event and has to dress in a leotard for her sport. When asked what would happen if she and her sister switched sports for a day, she commented, “I would fall off a horse and Olivia would only be able to do a cartwheel.”

Even though they are pretty much opposite of each other, they wouldn’t have it any other way.

“It’s like having a built-in best friend,” Lily said. “It’s interesting, because how is it not interesting,” Olivia said.  They do have a few similar interests in some stuff, like they both participate in NHS (National Honors Society) and they both love Taylor Swift. That proves that even though they are basically polar opposite twins, they still love each other no matter how different they are.