Martial Arts Means Discipline

Naose Dominguez has been taught discipline and focus from years of practicing Shorin Ryu.

Shorin Ryu written in Japanese.

Shorin Ryu written in Japanese.

Leah Miget, Reporter

Most styles of martial arts are not only about fighting or even self defense.  They are really about discipline.  

Shorin Ryu is from Okinawan roots and is one of the oldest forms of karate.  It originated from the fighting styles practiced in Okinawa, Japan but it’s main concepts are natural breathing, natural stances and circular movements.

“It’s a form of art,” said Naose (Now-Say) Dominguez, a freshman from Okinawa, Japan, who has been practicing this form of martial arts since he was 7 years old.  The belt levels in Shorin Ryu are: white belt, yellow belt, orange belt, purple belt, green belt, blue belt, brown belt, then black belt.  By the time Naose left Okinawa, he had earned his green belt which is an intermediate belt.  

Since moving to Missouri with his father, mother and two sisters almost a year ago, he has not been able to practice Shorin Ryu since it is not as common in the states as it was in Okinawa.

Naose is a hard worker at school and is very detail oriented in all that he does.

“The first word I would use to describe Naose is quiet and my second word would be conscientious,” said Naose’s English teacher, Mrs. Braswell.