Who Is That Doggie in the Hallway?

The truth behind Millie and Officer Schue’s visit
Anthony Rey
Officer Stephen Schue holding the leash attached to Millie the black lab.

When a pure black labrador retriever named Millie was brought to Liberty High School by none other than a St. Charles County police officer, it was sure to cause confusion amongst staff and students. However, Millie was not here to search for drugs, rather, Millie was here to help students to bring “comfort” and “smiles on faces,” said Officer Stephen Schue, Millie’s handler.

Millie is anything but your average canine. She is St. Charles County Police’s latest certified therapy dog. According to a story in Spectrum News, “She (Millie) visits students at St. Charles County area schools with her handler, Officer Stephen, to make positive impacts on their health and help with emotional and traumatic events.” Millie and her handler recently visited English teacher Mrs. Bryan’s classroom to greet the students.

“They just lit up,” Mrs. Bryan said. “Everybody loved petting her.” 

Saint Charles County Police’s latest certified therapy dog. (Brielle Vassel)

“Millie and Schue have already made 80 school visits over the past five months they have been together,” according to Spectrum News in January 2024.

One of the students in Mrs. Bryan’s class, freshman Sydney Turnipseed, has a connection to BJC. Her dad works for BJC and this is why Millie went to Mrs. Bryan’s classroom.

After visiting schools for seven months now, Millie and Officer Stephen Schue from St. Charles County Police have continued to make a huge impact on the community. They however did not do this alone. Millie’s funding, equipment, supplies, and even certification are in partnership with the Barnes-Jewish St. Peters and Progress West Foundation. The foundation’s goal is “to meet the healthcare needs of the community.”

If you want to donate to the foundation and help out, click this link and then click “Contact Us.” Donations to this organization help the community out in many ways, including seeing therapy dogs in schools.