Introducing Footloose

Liberty's next musical is taking the stage

Junior Megan Chambers heads the costume department.

Brooke Huffman

Brooke Huffman

Brooke Huffman, Reporter

Liberty’s thespians are buzzing with energy after the recent posting of the cast list for Liberty’s newest musical, “Footloose”. Set in the small town of Bomont in 1984, “Footloose” tells the story of an uphill battle against tradition, and a passion for dancing.

The 1984 movie starring Kevin Bacon and the 2011 remake with Julianne Hough has been adapted for the stage, and is filled with huge dance numbers and a nostalgic soundtrack.

Filled with familiar faces from the cast of Liberty’s production of “Little Women” and those new to the theater program, the cast is bursting with talent.

I love the responsibility of having all of lines to memorize, and the songs to memorize because it’s for something I’m so passionate about. Little Women was really somber and sad, but Footloose seems to be really upbeat, energetic, and exciting.”

— Cameron Jones

The leads consist of Ren McCormack played by junior Wesley Nichols, Ariel Moore played by junior Emily Gann and Reverend Shaw Moore played by senior Cameron Jones.

“I love the responsibility of having all of lines to memorize, and the songs to memorize because it’s for something I’m so passionate about,” Jones said. “Little Women was really somber and sad, but Footloose seems to be really upbeat, energetic, and exciting.”

Behind the scenes are stage managers senior Cat Frank, junior Drew Goodman and sophomore Evan Mantz. All were behind the curtain during “Little Women,” Goodman assisting with props and Mantz and Frank working deck crew.

“I was very excited and I know it’s a huge musical, so I’m a little bit nervous too. Footloose is going to be very fun though, I can’t wait for everyone to see it,” Mantz said.

Rehearsals have already begun and the show is moving at lightning speed. With more than 90 students in the show on and off stage, it’s set to be Liberty’s biggest production yet.

“I’m nervous and excited, but I think this is going to be fantastic for our program,” director and theater teacher Ms. Gehrke said.

This is Gehrke’s first production as a theatre teacher here at Liberty, though she has helped with past shows.

“There’s a lot of moving pieces but we have a lot of help with our crew, and we have this amazing team of people that I think are going to pull it off,” Gehrke said.

Footloose’s opening night is set for Nov. 15th and will run until the 17th. Don’t forget to come and see the show and support your Liberty thespians!

Brooke Huffman, Reporter

Brooke is a sophomore and this is her second year on the publications staff, and her first year writing for the Ledger. Aside from journalism, Brooke is...