Inside the Nest

A look at the leaders running the Eagles Nest

Braden McMakin

Carson Brown, Hunter Perkins and Nolan Bone talked to the crowd about the Eagles Nest and how to get involved on the first day of school.

Nick Howard, Reporter

Most high schools have a student section that roots on their sports team wherever they play at, but at Liberty a group known as the Eagles Nest leads the craziness of the student sections for the school’s big games.

The Eagles Nest is led by three seniors this season: Nolan Bone, Hunter Perkins and Carson Brown. They direct the student section for every big game there is and are thrilled to do whatever it takes to get students to the games. The leaders have been wanting to do this for a while as Carson Brown was coming up with ideas since last year.

“Being in Eagles Nest is a lot of fun and we like to do whatever gets the students going to the games such as coming up with ways to make the student section fun and so on,” Brown said.

The three leaders came together and planned on becoming a part of the Eagles Nest for the 2018-2019 school year.

“I was brainstorming in StuCo last year and the idea of joining the Eagles Nest was brought up to me and I came together with Nolan and Hunter and said ‘let’s do this,’” Brown said.

Being a leader in the Eagles Nest has been a fun experience for the three guys so far. They enjoy finding a way to get the fans involved during the game in the student section. Whatever gets the students involved and ways that they can support the team in creative ways are two things that are important to the leaders.

“It means a lot to get people from Liberty involved throughout the game and finding ways how they can support the team,” Bone said.

As a leader, there is a lot of planning for what to do during a big game. These guys like to keep tradition of the school as well as mixing a little more of new stuff to bring more emotion to the students. Having new chants, such as “the party’s over here” or “I believe that we can win,” and themes, such as a frat theme or a white out night, to get the crowd more involved and active is the big goal to reach.

“We like to come up with new chants and plan themes for the future games in the upcoming season along with communicating with the students to get them to go out,” Perkins said.

There are a lot of ways to get involved into a game, but to have leaders of a student section on game day and a group of people to reach out and get students to go to games makes for an even better support system for the Liberty sport teams.