• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

Nike Ignites the Flame

A recent release of a series of ads featuring Colin Kaepernick has created controversy

The+iconic+Nike+swoosh+

Nike Ignites the Flame

The iconic Nike swoosh

The iconic Nike swoosh

London Powell

The iconic Nike swoosh

London Powell

London Powell

The iconic Nike swoosh

London Powell, Reporter

Colin Kaepernick. A very controversial person. Everyone seems to have an opinion of him, even the President of the United States. But despite all this Nike signed him to an endorsement deal and made a risky move and featured him in the 30th anniversary ad campaign of the brand’s slogan “Just do it”.

The main ad that outraged the internet was a simple black and white close up of Kaepernick’s face with text over it that said “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

As many people know, this was referring to Kaepernick’s lawsuit against the NFL, claiming that they colluded against him to keep him out of the league over his kneeling during the 16-17 season.

People have been burning, cutting and overall ruining their Nike products to boycott the brand.

Kaepernick’s kneeling during the national anthem in order to protest police brutality, racism, and social inequality in America was a peaceful protest, that harmed none. So why are people so upset?

Some people say they could never support a brand that supports Kaepernick because of how he disrespected the American flag. But he was just standing for something he believed in. Granted, maybe it was not done in the best way, but he took advantage of his social platform and for good reason. Plus, he was just practicing his First Amendment right.

I do not understand why you would stop supporting a brand for supporting a man who stood for his beliefs without letting others criticism and judgment stop him. Honestly, I find it sort of commendable. There are not many people who would do something like Kaepernick did.

But despite all the boycotts and controversy, Nike sales have gone up 31 percent. Proving that maybe these boycotts don’t serve much purpose.

All in all, everyone has the right to an opinion. You could burn your Nike Air Force Ones or you could go buy out the whole store. Everyone can choose what they want to do, what will you decide?

London Powell, Reporter

London Powell is a freshman who is taking her first journalism class this year. She enjoys entertainment, photography and cheesy Netflix movies. She is...