• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

A Look Into Speech And Debate

Ms. Franke is the new sponsor of the club

A Look Into Speech And Debate

Speech and debate is a club that welcomes all grade levels and encourages students, new and old, to try speech and debate. It is always accepting new members.

Leah Miget

Leah Miget

Leah Miget

Kelsey Looney, Reporter

The speech and debate club offers something for everyone. Those who like to argue may have an interest in debate, somebody interested in theater may want to perform in improv, and those who want their ideas to be heard to be heard may enjoy student congress.

Sponsored by Ms. Franke, the club goes over a number of categories of speech and debate including: Lincoln-Douglas Debates, public policy debates, public forum debates, dramatic interpretation, humorous interpretation, improv, impromptu, poetry reading, student congress, radio speaking, foreign and domestic, extemporaneous speaking, storytelling and oratory.

“I am hoping to become very acquainted with the team this year,” Ms. Franke said. “I want us to become very accepting and cooperative.”

The club welcomes all grade levels and encourages students, new and old, to try speech and debate. At the moment, the club has a total of 10 members, but is always accepting new members.

The club offers students a chance to learn many new skills.

“I am hoping to be able to build my public speaking skills and make friends along the way,” freshman Jaden Zelidon said, who is a first year speech and debater.

“Students need analytical thinking skills, and speech and debate teaches them through practice,” Franke said. “Speech and debate is great for learning communication skills, team work and current events.  It gives students a platform to speak about things they don’t normally get to voice their opinions about.”

Speech and debate is great for learning communication skills, team work and current events.  It gives students a platform to speak about things they don’t normally get to voice their opinions about.”

— Ms. Franke

Speech and debate has individual meetings for each category. A group meeting is held the first Tuesday of every month. Through the entire school year, tournaments will be held in October, December, January and March.

“These tournaments are hosted at other high schools and students compete against 30-100 other competitors in their chosen event,” Franke said.

Speech and Debate is a fantastic club for students to take part in to improve their skills in logical thinking, communication and teamwork.

About the Writer
Kelsey Looney, Reporter

Kelsey is a freshman and is her first year as a member of the journalism staff. She is an introverted person but opens up to people with time. She enjoys...