A Beginning of Understanding

Epsilon Beta shows their appreciation for all people by making pronoun buttons

Epsilon+Beta+president+Lilia+Taylor+wants+to+make+everyone+feel+welcome.+The+library+is+a+place+to+connect+with+other+people+and+share+common+values%2C+and+just+accept+each+other%2C+Taylor+said.+

Eradyn Bailey

Epsilon Beta president Lilia Taylor wants to make everyone feel welcome. “The library is a place to connect with other people and share common values, and just accept each other,” Taylor said.

Alyssa Bailey, Reporter

The feeling of being judged by other people at school, work, or home takes a toll. It’s already difficult to fit in, sometimes, and Epsilon Beta wants to acknowledge and change the way people look at the library and other individuals.

Epsilon Beta has decided to start a new project where they will create and sell pronoun buttons to ensure a safe, happy environment for everyone. Ms. Oliva, their sponsor, took part in taking action to make this project happen, and as a way to promote the library that accepts everyone.

“I want them to represent that we don’t judge people, and that we accept different shapes, sizes, and affiliations of people,” junior Lilia Taylor said. “For the most part, that we don’t care about judging you or making you feel mistreated just because you feel differently than others.”

Senior Sam Nelson actually came up with the idea and talked to Ms. Oliva to turn it into something more than just a thought, and from there, the idea was born.

Eradyn Bailey
Epsilon Beta began meeting every other week in A.I. to work on pronoun buttons and has discussed different ways of distributing them in their usual meetings that take place every other Tuesday. The buttons will be sold at the library for a dollar and all the funds will go directly to the library. Epsilon Beta and their sponsor, Ms. Oliva, want the library to be seen not only as a resource but a reflection of the students.

“They should represent how the school is a safe place for everyone and since the library isn’t just books, it’s green screens, printing, and a place to go during lunch, we wanted to represent how it’s a service for whatever people need,” Ali Burket, junior and secretary of Epsilon Beta, said.  

Epsilon Beta began meeting every other week in A.I. to work on these buttons and has discussed different ways of distributing them in their usual meetings that take place every other Tuesday.

President of Epsilon Beta, Lilia Taylor, has put into words of what it’s like to become the new president this year and the changes she wants to make to accept and welcome everyone.

“I’ve been so inspired and always so eager to get up there and get everyone excited about Epsilon Beta since, in past years, it’s been hard,” Taylor said. “We haven’t had as much membership so I’m really hoping to make a change on that this year and I’m just so excited to have more people joining our club to show them that the library isn’t just a place to read books. The library is a place to connect with other people and share common values, and just accept each other. It’s a way of showing that the library is a safe environment. It’s not exactly to promote Epsilon Beta, itself, but just the library.”

The buttons will be sold at the library for a dollar and all the funds will go directly to the library. Epsilon Beta and their sponsor, Ms. Oliva, want the library to be seen not only as a resource but a reflection of the students.

“We want our students to know that we have resources like, for example, fiction books that represents students at Liberty,” Oliva said. “We have books involving the LGBT community and we have a Gateway book this year that has a character that’s gender fluid. It’s just about owning acceptance throughout the school.”

Not only that but Epsilon Beta is planning on involving more students in their upcoming projects and activities, such as the stay in after school, the spring conference at Columbia, field trips at Discovery Ridge, and working the booth at Pink Night on Oct. 19.