Stressing Out

How freshman really feel about school

Suddenly having seven classes can be stressful for incoming freshmen.

Ashley Haberberger

Ashley Haberberger

Ashley Haberberger, Reporter

Nearly every high school student would agree that school is stressful. But what exactly makes it so bad?

A recent survey of 53 students showed that 77 percent of freshman at Liberty feel like high school is more stress-inducing than middle school.

Is it the amount of homework placed on incoming students? Is it because 87 percent of students are taking at least one honors class? Is it because of the pressure to be involved in clubs and activities?

Approximately 28 percent of students spend 1-2 hours on homework a night while 25 percent of students spend 2-3 hours on homework a night. Although this number doesn’t sound like much, most students are involved with other things, such as school clubs or activities outside of school, which creates less time to focus on homework. Students who take more advanced classes are also presented with more homework, or at least homework that is more challenging, making it difficult to be a well-rounded student.

A recent survey of 53 students showed that 77 percent of freshman at Liberty feel like high school is more stress-inducing than middle school.”

Freshman Olivia Overton is taking one honors class; she also a member of the art club and is helping with costumes for theater.

“When I’m feeling stressed, I try to spend time with my friends and family to help myself cool off. I have anxiety, so it can get tough at times, but I have to remind myself that’s just life,” Overton said. “It’s important to talk about your stress with an adult that you trust so you don’t bottle all of those feelings up inside.”

Freshman Erick Ascencio’s parents have always pressured him to do well in school, so he’s starting off freshman year taking three honors classes and being a part of three clubs, Scholar Bowl, HOSA and Key Club.

“I didn’t necessarily want to take almost all honors, there were a few I wanted to do such as Pre-AP English, but my parents insisted I take ones that I didn’t want to because they’d be good for me,” Ascencio said. “But I don’t feel like the clubs that I’m in add stress to my life, being a part of clubs I enjoy are some of the only things that are school related and make me feel free. They help me relieve some stress from the school day.”

While Overton and Ascencio have already found healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with stress, it’s important to note that there are unhealthy mechanisms as well. If you notice your friend is feeling overwhelmed, make an attempt to help them cheer up and calm down. It’s impossible to eliminate stress all together, but it’s important we don’t leave anyone to suffer alone.

Ashley Haberberger, Reporter

Ashley is a freshman and this is her first year working in journalism. She enjoys writing, reading and drawing in her spare time. Ashley also enjoys watching...