• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

More Than Meets the Eye

A Generation ready to take on the world

Freshmen+Chynna+Yeh%2C+%28left%29+Nora+Wibbenmeyer%2C+%28middle%29+and+Ashley+Haberberger+%28right%29+play+a+game+in+the+cafeteria+before+the+first+morning+bell.+

More Than Meets the Eye

Freshmen Chynna Yeh, (left) Nora Wibbenmeyer, (middle) and Ashley Haberberger (right) play a game in the cafeteria before the first morning bell.

Emily Barnett

Emily Barnett

Emily Barnett

Emily Barnett, Reorter

There are some pressures of living an average teen life that reoccur in every generation such as being peer pressured to drink, stress over exams, and anxiety between managing sports, extra curriculars, social life, while maintaining a steady job. These themes are often brought up over and over for a reason, because throughout time they remain a constant to a part of life that every person has, is, or eventually endures. 

Some aspects of teen life remain constant throughout time. Other aspects change throughout each generation. Teens nowadays (known as Gen Z) are often criticized and face backlash from the public for many reasons. First off, teens face a major difference in advances of technology and change of teachings that many other past generations haven’t had to endure. Past generations do not remember checking their phones for updates and doing work almost exclusively online like today’s teens do. With new technology comes media that tends to pump out rumors and gossip on human flaws and unspeakable acts committed by society. It has been said that teens parents will outlast them in age because of the rise in obesity due to technological advances. It also has been said by other generations that we are lazy and will not lay out strong futures for ourselves.

All of the flaws brought up by society and the mistakes made up environmentally, economically, and in leadership bring up questions of how we will improve in the future. A huge weight is casted upon the minds of a young generation that has the potential to do great things. The biggest thing to understand is that times change. We cannot shy away from mistakes that have been made but everybody has the chance to change the face of the future. Life is change, and overtime generations will come to adapt to the new change and realize that people are capable of any outcome. We should encourage Gen Z to do better in the world no matter what problems are present. In the end, just like chaos, teen life although altered throughout time is a part of life in which all generations remain united.

Emily Barnett, Reporter

Emily Barnett is a freshman and is excited to start journalism and take part in  publications class. At school, she is involved in track and cross country...