Setting the Scene

Wentzville School District to host the 3rd annual Film Festival

The 3rd annual film festival is on April 2.  The film festival creates an opportunity for students to express their creative talents.

Photo provided by Wentzville School District

The 3rd annual film festival is on April 2. The film festival creates an opportunity for students to express their creative talents.

Olivia Holler, Co editor-in-chief

Wentzville School District is holding the 3rd annual film festival at Holt High School on April. 2. Students from all across the district will showcase their creative minds and talents by creating various types of videos from how to’s to animation.

The festival is to give students an authentic audience for writing, editing and creating films. 

“We wanted a place to promote student voice,” district technology coach Samantha Knoll said, who is one of the organizers of the event.

The purpose of the festival is to encourage students to be digital creators. It is an opportunity to “celebrate” the students “creative abilities” with film, Ms. Oliva said. They encourage all students to participate; elementary up until the high school level.

This year there are eight categories and the video has to fall into one of these categories to be included in the festival: Instructional, Informational, PSA/Commercial, Story, Music Video, News Package, Sports and Animation.

I am really hoping to see some films submitted in the animation category this year since it’s the newest category, and we tied our January STEAM Challenge to making an animated film,” Ms. Oliva said.

In addition to the districts film festival, Liberty is hosting one as well on March 15. Students will be invited to a pizza party and there will be a Go-Pro Camera give away. The students will not only get to have fun but will be provided with feedback for their videos.

“We decided to enter our film because we had already made the video for AP French 4 and we received extra credit for entering it,” senior Juli Pritchett said.

Students should participate because it gives them an opportunity to share what they are passionate about.

“If making a film and sharing your story is of interest to you, we encourage you to submit a film.  If you are not interested in making a film, then being part of the production crew, or hosting might be a way to get involved as well,” Ms. Knoll said.

If you are even considering participating in the festival, do it. It’s a way to not only a way to show off your creative skills but to be a part of the Wentzville community.

For more information about the film festival go to:  https://sites.google.com/wsdr4students.org/wentzvillefilmfestival

The deadline to submit for District’s Film Festival: March 2

Here is the link to the rules: https://sites.google.com/wsdr4students.org/wentzvillefilmfestival/rules

Here is the link for more information on the categories: https://sites.google.com/wsdr4students.org/wentzvillefilmfestival/categories

Here is the link for more information on the District Film Festival: https://sites.google.com/wsdr4students.org/wentzvillefilmfestival/home

About the Writer
Olivia Holler, Co-editor-in-chief Ledger magazine

Olivia is a senior and this is her fourth year as a member of the Ledger and first year as a member of the Talon yearbook. She is a co-editor-in-chief...

1 Comment

One Response to “Setting the Scene”

1. Mason Johnson on February 7th, 2019 11:42 am

As much as I love to see the animation category added to the film festival, I don’t expect too many this year. Animation takes an extremely long time if it’s done right. Having a month to create a fully fledged animation after it being unveiled seems to be expecting a lot, especially with a student’s busy schedule. Next year I would hope to see more animations, but this year seems to be asking for too much.

– Mason Johnson, Certified Human Being
    [email protected]
    Don’t email me after 8:00 PM, because that’s my bedtime.

• Setting the Scene

#BekindLHS

• Setting the Scene

The Final Countdown

• Setting the Scene

What’s the Hallway Fuss?

• Setting the Scene

HOSA Tackles State

• Setting the Scene

German Students Attend Event At Washington University

• Setting the Scene

Mask Your Age

• Setting the Scene

Taking Gold

• Setting the Scene

Leading Liberty

• Setting the Scene

Service Is Out Of This World

• Setting the Scene

ASC Leaders Pack Food For Children In Community

Setting the Scene