We Are Resource

Ms. Merritt keeps students motivated and on track

photo provided by Dr. Kiely

Students from all different lifestyles, backgrounds, home lives makeup this resource room. Students have grown together to become a big blended family.

Amour Riley, Reporter

Sophomore Torri Bridges says that Ms. Stephanie Merritt is like a second mom to her.

“She helps a lot and keeps me on track in school,” Bridges said. “She really helps me stay motivated.”

That’s just the beginning of the sweet things people had to say about resource teacher Ms. Merritt. 

Liberty offers a classroom called “resource.” The resource room is used throughout the entire district. This is a place to go for kids who deal with anxiety, need a smaller space to work or somewhere quiet to work. This class is run by teacher Ms. Merritt.

Resource began when Liberty first opened its doors in 2013. The initial goal was for kids to get the extra help they needed if it were a quiet place to work or needing a test read to them.

One of the resource room’s goals is for students to feel like they matter.

“We love having someone in resource who wants to make a connection with students,” assistant principal Dr. Kiely said. “Same thing with the ISS room and Ms. Hill. Sometimes you’re in there for not the best reason and you need someone to make you feel loved. The idea is yes we want them to be hard on you, we have expectations. You should be doing your work, going back to class but we don’t want them to make that child feel any worse about themselves.”

At the start of second semester, the resource room was moved from the 400 hall to the 100 hallway next door to Ms. Gault’s room. Ms. Merritt’s room is a homey environment.  She makes her room feel like home because it’s like an extension of her home and wants students to be comfortable and relaxed, with things like fluffy pillows, blankets, different seating areas and diffused essential oils, basically like walking into your living room.

“I like my surroundings to make me feel at peace, in an area that’s organized and uncluttered and since I feel that way I believe kids can benefit from having that same feeling,” Merritt said.

She helps a lot and keeps me on track in school. She really helps me stay motivated.

— Torri Bridges about resource teacher Ms. Merritt

Instead of going in there and the room feeling dull, students go in there and feel good vibes and more productive.  

“I feel more productive in resource than I do class because I’m in a happy environment, like I actually want to do my work. I’m happier in there so it makes me actually want to do my work and be productive,” freshman Brianna Spies said.

To most students who regularly go in resource, Ms. Merritt is more than a teacher. She’s Mama Merritt.

“She’s more than just a teacher. I feel like I can talk to her about my personal issues too,” Spies said. “Like you don’t just walk in and she’s like get to your work she asks you how you’re doing and how’s your day.”  

Sophomore Alyssa Coleman adds that “she’s more than a teacher and not just that, but she’s there for us. She inspires us to do more.”

Students enjoy coming to resource because they feel cared for, like they can get their work done, they get the one-on-one instruction they need, and they feel more comfortable than in class.

“I like coming to resource because it’s a place for me to get all my work done and then also a place to just do all my work and then I get it done and turn it in get some more work do it and turn it in,” junior Aires Williams said. “Just keep up with my grades. If it wasn’t for resource, I wouldn’t be doing no work.”

Sophomore Layania Byrd likes coming to resource. “Ms. Merritt is so nice and helpful…she’s so sweet and kind and she helps me a lot,” Byrd said.

Resource is a room where everyone can feel welcome, where anyone who needs it can use it. This is a room that for people who go regularly are like a family and less like a class.