A Bloody Good Time

HOSA exceeds its goal at the blood drive

Haleigh McCune

Mr. Wheeler poses with the blood drive mascot. Many students dress up in this costume throughout the day to help promote the blood drive.

Haleigh McCune, Reporter

Does anyone else have a friend that you go to anytime you have a medical problem?

Liberty has many of these students, and that is due to all of the medical classes and clubs it has to offer. (Well, and Grey’s.)

Last Tuesday members of HOSA (an organization created for future health professionals) helped put together, take down, and run a blood drive here at school.

There are two drives that happen every year, and Liberty has been doing them for four years.

Anyone at the school can donate if they want, with only a few restrictions.  Certain ages need permission from a guardian, but if you are 17, 18, and able, this is a perfect opportunity to help your community. And get out of class. And help your HOSA friends get out of class.

There are two shifts that members can sign up for, but they are not required to participate in the event.

They will be missing all classes for half a day, but to most that sounds appealing. And to others, this is a perfect opportunity to actually experience medical work.

During the drive, students will help set up the space, give students food and drinks after they donate, walk them back to class to make sure they don’t pass out, and give them t- shirts.

Junior Rees Lewis would “definitely encourage people to join” this club. It can really “help determine if you actually want a career in the medical field.”

Most HOSA students have been involved with this club for at least a year, most more, and don’t intend on leaving. And with the help of Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center, they have been doing very well.

Students aren’t forced to participate in these activities, so they are more likely to stay in the long run. And the ones that do help with these events are thriving.

Every year there has been a goal of 80 pints of blood donated. And every year Liberty has exceeded this goal. This blood drive totaled 110 units collected. 

Is this because of a will to help people, or students just wanting to get out of class?

You decide…