Self-Taught Drummer

Eric Mulherin’s Inspiration to master an instrument alone

Eric Mulherin, Sophomore

Eleanor McCrary, Reporter

Most people want to impact the world in some sort of a positive way. For Eric Mulherin, this way is through music.

Mulherin’s affinity for drumming is almost innate. All throughout his childhood, Mulherin was tapping on whatever was closest to him, whether it be the couch, his desk, or his own leg. By sixth grade, Mulherin’s parents took notice, and bought him his very own drum set.

At first, Mulherin wasn’t interested in his shiny new instrument. For a year, the drum set remained unplayed, collecting dust. Then, when Mulherin was in seventh grade, he finally picked up the drumsticks.

As Mulherin taught himself, his love for playing grew. Now, after three years of drumming, it is one of his favorite parts of the day.

Dominic Reyes, a friend of Mulherin, admires his passion for music. It is so integral to who Mulherin is, that according to Reyes, “if you know Eric, you know he likes to play.”

However, Mulherin’s love for music runs deeper than just enjoying the process. He wants to use music to inspire the people around him and make a “positive impact on people’s lives”, much like his musical role model, singer/songwriter Jon Bellion, has done for him.

Although the future is unsure, Mulherin hopes to make his dreams of making meaningful music a reality. Even if Mulherin’s career is one other than being in a band, he will continue to impact the people around him with the music he plays. This has already started with his neighbors, who compliment him on the sounds they hear from his house across the street.