‘SOUR’ Proves Rodrigo Is Not A One-Hit Wonder

Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album is taking the world by storm

Geffen Records

Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album “SOUR” was released May 21.

Sabryn Gibson, Reporter

It’s the album that took everyone by shock from the first song. Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album “SOUR” has been the topic of many conversations since it came out May 21. The album has 11 songs including Rodrigo’s hit song “Driver’s License.” 

Rodrigo first announced she was releasing a debut album on her Instagram on April 13 and has been continuing to gain fame since she released the album. 

Rodrigo first became a household name when she appeared on the Disney+ show “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”. She released her first songs (such as the TikTok-famous “All I Want”) as a part of the show’s soundtrack and has gained a following for her music ever since. With “SOUR” being Rodrigo’s debut album, she has already left her mark on the music industry. 

Impressing critics and listeners alike with her incredible songwriting skills, Rodrigo has made music that has touched people’s hearts in a very unique way. She also included many different-sounding songs on this album. Even the three singles she put out prior to the album’s release (“Drivers License”, “Deja Vu”, “Good 4 U”) each had their own unique sound.

“I want [SOUR] to be super versatile. My dream is to have it be an intersection between mainstream pop, folk music, and alternative rock,” Rodrigo told NYLON. “I love the songwriting and the lyricism and the melodies of folk music. I love the tonality of alt-rock. Obviously, I’m obsessed with pop and pop artists. So I’m going to try and take all of my sort of influences … and make something that I like.”

One of the reasons this album is so popular, especially among teenagers, is that it’s relatable. Her songs highlight struggles with relationships, body image issues, and the underwhelming feeling that comes along with being a teenager sometimes. 

But while the album has garnered much acclaim for Rodrigo’s skills as a lyricist, some of the actual production isn’t what it could be. Many feel that the lyrics really carry Rodrigo’s songs and the actual music and beats seem lackluster. 

In spite of this critique, Rodrigo has had enormous success with this album. The album reached No. 1 in the US, UK, Australia, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden, and Rodrigo has had at least one song in the top 10 songs on Spotify for weeks now.

Pop’s new princess is just getting started.