Into The Artist’s Mind: Ms. Vo

Vo is a passionate educator and artist

submitted by Ms. Vo

Mrs. Vo at a temple in Seoul, South Korea July 16th 2019.

Chloe Stenger, Reporter

Ms. Anh Vo is a 29-year-old art teacher who teaches art fundamentals, drawing, painting, and digital photography. She was born in Vietnam.

She chose to be an art teacher because she has always loved art and being in the learning environment.

“I remember being in high school and always loving the environment. I also don’t see a lot of Asian teachers and I wanted to be able to represent,” Vo said.

Ms. Vo in Pere Marquette State Park with her roommate, Addie. (photo submitted by Ms. Vo)

Ms. Vo has a roommate, Addie, and they are best friends. Ms. Vo has rented out the entire basement of Addie’s house. She is saving up money for her own house though. Vo and her roommate don’t have any pets, but hopes to adopt a French bulldog one day.

Outside of school, she enjoys hanging out with her friend and traveling around the world. She has been to several countries such as the U.S., Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and Canada. She hopes to travel to cities such as San Francisco, New York, and Seattle.

“Whenever there is a break or a holiday in school, I take time to travel,” Vo said.

Ms. Vo’s favorite book is the “Harry Potter” series. Her favorite movie is “Turning Red” and her favorite things to watch on TV are K-Dramas. Two of her favorite K-Dramas would be “Twenty Five Twenty One” and “Goblin: The Lonely and Great God.”

“They are two entirely different shows. ‘Goblin’ is more of a fantasy romance and ‘Twenty Five Twenty One’ is more of a first love kind of romance,” Vo said.

Some of her favorite hobbies are traveling, reading, and watching K-Drama or anime. She also really likes to read the manga.

Ms. Vo went to college at the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL). She majored in art education for K-12. She is about to get her master’s degree in education and technology. College helped her meet new people and make friends. She said it was fun in college because it helps you gain a lot of freedom.

“(College) taught me to take care of myself better. I have only been a go-getter and a procrastinator, which don’t really mix well. You can choose your own schedule based on your career and what you want. Soul searching for a few years changing between majors.”

When asked what she enjoys most about teaching, she said, “I have really awesome co-workers and they really make working fun. I feel like I’m learning more every day, helping me kind of come out of my shell. Teaching is definitely really hard, but it’s also fun.”

Madison Barnes is a 16-year-old sophomore who has Ms. Vo as a teacher.

“She is a very good teacher. She is very patient and passionate. She loves seeing us work and paint. I mostly enjoy just painting or looking up things for inspiration so we can use it,” Barnes said.