Two Sophomores Selected For Missouri Scholars Academy

Manikandan and Claravall chosen to attend three-week enrichment program

Madeline+Claravall+and+Santosh+Manikandan+will+represent+Liberty+at+Missouri+Scholars+Academy+this+summer.+

Sydney Davis

Madeline Claravall and Santosh Manikandan will represent Liberty at Missouri Scholars Academy this summer.

Sydney Davis, Reporter

The Missouri Scholars Academy is a three-week residential program held at Mizzou this summer from June 12 to July 2. The goal of MSA is to help gifted students build motivation and achieve their fullest potential with specialized lessons to assist. Liberty selected two students, Madeline Claravall (10) and Santosh Manikandan (10) to go amongst the 330 other sophomores attending. 

“I’m mostly just looking forward to all of the different classes that I know about,” Claravall said. “But other than that, I’m kind of clueless.”

Students get to choose different courses and an overall topic to focus on, in addition to the other fun activities held on campus.

Manikandan stated, “I’m not sure, I mean I signed up for the Intro to Philosophy.” He also chose some math and Python courses in addition to philosophy.

Horizon’s Ms. Lewis and College and Career Center’s Ms. Gerringer selected the people going, but then the students had to individually apply. The application process was then down to writing two essays and collecting teacher recommendations.

Claravall mentioned, “It feels really good, I found out about MSA my freshman year and it’s been something I always wanted to do because it seemed like a lot of fun, so I’m really really excited.”

The Wentzville School District Foundation also gifted the WSD students participating $500.