Your Team, Your Family, Your Game

JV volleyball team learns to work together and be there for one another

The+JV+volleyball+team+celebrates+after+a+point.+

Jackson Sinnard

The JV volleyball team celebrates after a point.

Kylie Richardson, Reporter

JV volleyball took a big win on Sept. 6 against Timberland by winning two sets. This was their biggest win of the season so far.

The team had excellent communication and great form during the game. This game was one that kept you on the edge of your seat.

JV volleyball this year has been more than just a team. Their current record (according to Lynleigh Hillgartner and Kenna Harris players on the team) is 3-2. Their coach Mark Herkenhoff has helped to lead the team in their good start to the season. 

Lynleigh Hillgartner warms up for the game. (Sophie Hegyi)

Kenna Harris, a freshman, and a setter on the team said,  “We are all kind to each other and don’t get down when we make mistakes.” Making mistakes is a good thing with sports; it shows your putting in effort and trying to learn and grow. Harris and Lynleigh Hillgartner both said,  “We also don’t have drama on our team either.”

Kenna Harris serves the ball in the game against Timberland. (Ella Pinz)

Drama is the main start of pulling apart people in high school. The fact that they don’t have drama on their team or negative energy are great qualities to have on a high school sports team. It proves they know how to communicate and form relationships with one another not just during the game but outside of it too. 

“Even though we are separated varsity, JV and C team, we all still talk to each other, we all don’t just hang out with our grades,” Hillgartner, a libero on the team, said.

Volleyball isn’t just a sport you play, it’s also the connection you make with it. For our JV volleyball team, they have made a family with the people they play with. They have learned to communicate and work together and be there for one another. This is what makes a team a family.