Up, Up and and…No Way?

The impact of our modern day heroes

Gibson Mitchell, Reporter

Word on the street says that superheroes can only live and breathe within the confines of a comic book page, television or smartphone screen. But this simply isn’t true. Our heroes are the people we look up to and come in all shapes and sizes.

But appearance and physicality aside, heroism has found a way to express itself through both men and women while simultaneously surpassing the racial and socioeconomic boundary lines as well.

Since we all already know what being a hero can look like, the following examples from some of our fellow students helps add more focus to picture.

“I guess what represents leadership would be the celebrities around us, like…they set the trends..sometimes they use a lot of it for good.” Sophomore Jayson Helmering said.

“A lot of them are donating to the hurricane like, Kevin Hart and like athletes and like Stephen Curry, they use that platform to reach out and talk to people and I think that’s a good leader…that’s how they lead…just by like…saying what they think,” Helmering added.

Another notable example of heroism can be found within The Golden Age of Comics and is described as the best season for their run on society and the rest of pop-culture that would go on to last for years. Around the year 1938 through 1950, the world saw the greatest increase of new illustrative imagination. Characters like Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, and Superwoman can trace their first appearance back in this time of radical talent.

“Heroes are made by their surroundings and how they were brought up,” said junior Emma Riley.  She felt a personal connection to this topic used her knowledge of mission trip experience given to her by family friends to relate despite living in a more stable country.

But since we humans can’t fly, shoot lasers out of our eyes, or freeze something without breath, social media and progress through hard work has become our so called super power.

“It’s pretty obvious that social media has defiantly influenced this generation,” said senior Nicole Smith. “We live in an era where we grew up not having it, it has to do with comfort and capability.” No matter the case, heroes are looked up to as sources of strength and leadership.