Students Organize Walkout to Protest Gun Violence Within Schools

Fed up students eager to evoke change organize walkout protest

Jayce Haun

Since the Columbine High School massacre in 1999, there have been more than 304 fatal school shootings, which is a number that continues to grow to this day.

Jayce Haun, Reporter

Outrage across the country due to the recent Tennessee school shooting has sparked a desire for change in many students fed up with the violence. Student activists have organized a walkout protest set to take place on April 5 during school hours from 12–12:30 p.m. The walkout is part of one larger protest, put together by the Students Demand Action organization at the national-scale.

“I think it’s important that lawmakers see that students are fed up with this and that we are not willing to just accept what they have given us, which is simply their thoughts and prayers,” sophomore Clara Walker said.

Organizers encourage fellow students to participate by wearing orange and making posters to be displayed during the protest.

Those planning to take part in the walkout should be aware of their rights and should exercise them accordingly.

It is important to note that:

• School/district administration cannot punish students for participating in such protests any more harshly than it punishes students for missing school for any other reason.
  • School officials cannot prevent students from expressing personal opinions on a given topic simply because the topic may be too controversial, even if it would provoke strong disagreement or disputation.
  • You are allowed to express your own views while at school.

It is also important to know that the rules above apply only if you do not disrupt the functioning of the school or violate content-neutral policies that may be in place. Administrators will be present during the walkout and will allow students to take part.

“We still have high expectations for student behavior during this time,” assistant principal Mr. Schumacher said. “We expect it [the protest] to remain a controlled environment.”

Students who wish to get involved without attending the walkout can take part in other ways.

“There are many petitions that you can sign,” Walker said. “There are also organizations that offer trainings and information on this type of stuff, which is helpful when getting involved.”