• Apr 25 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Ursuline - 1
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 7, Holt - 5
  • Apr 24 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Holt - 1
  • Apr 23 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 2, Howell North - 1
  • Apr 22 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 3

Spreading Joy Through Cookies

The Cookie Box is known for creating beautiful custom-made cookies
The+Cookie+Box+has+been+open+since+Dec.+2019+and+customers+continue+coming+back.+
Ellie Simon
The Cookie Box has been open since Dec. 2019 and customers continue coming back.

The Cookie Box is a local cookie shop that specializes in custom made baked goods. They’re located at 2443 State Highway K in O’Fallon. The owner, Jacquelyn Smith, is originally from southeast Texas and decided to open up the Cookie Box because of a tradition she had with her grandparents. 

As a child, Smith would take a plan white box and decorate it with scraps of ribbon and fabric. “I mailed it to my grandma Jojo and asked if she could send it back filled with her homemade Chocolate Chip cookies. This became a tradition of Jojo sending cookies in the cookie box and me sending back an empty box and awaiting more,” Smith says on her website’s about me page. “This tradition unlocked a new passion for me, The Cookie Box which is creating personalized and custom designs for customers to share.” 

The Cookie Box is hosting “Taylor Swiftmas,” which is going to be held on Swift’s birthday, Dec. 13. The event is from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. and there will be many opportunities to celebrate Swift on her birthday. Such as, limited-time Swiftie cookies, friendship bracelet making, an Instagram photo opp, and a chance at winning a raffle.

Smith’s stepdaughter, Sophia Sawyer, a junior at LHS, says that she enjoyed working at the Cookie Box. Sawyer doesn’t work at the store anymore, but she says that she loved be able to be creative with the cookies. 

The flyer for Taylor Swiftmas, celebrating the pop star’s birthday on the 13th (Submitted by Alexandra McKamely)

“My favorite part was being able to ice the cookies. I got to be creative with the designs. Working at the Lake St. Louis Farmers Market was also up there in my favorite things to do when I was working there,” Sawyer said.

Smith knew in high school that she wanted to open her own business and now that she has achieved it, “it’s like a dream come true.” The Cookie Box started in Smith’s kitchen in 2019 and after selling her cookies at the Lake St. Louis Farmer’s Market, she opened up a storefront in December of 2022.

Sawyer says that seeing how much the customers loved her stepmom’s shop and having supported her from the beginning makes her really happy.

“Just seeing how she has started this business from nothing with an idea and to where she is now is really special,” Sawyer said.

The Cookie Box sells more than just customized cookies. On occasions, they sell dipped Oreos, mini cookie cakes, and Sha-Lo-La which is a cookie buttercream sandwich. Smith’s favorite cookie they sell is the ButterBrickle, it’s a buttery cookie with toffee bits that become caramelized in the oven.

Alexandra McKamely, who works at the Cookie Box, says the best part of working at the store is getting to experiment with all the flavors and recipes. McKamely says that the Cookie Box has so many loyal customers that sometimes they will let them taste test cookies for the store to see what is going to be a hit or not.

“I have had the pleasure of making all sorts of different flavored cookies for the shop. Jackie is such a pleasure to work for, and we always have so much fun,” McKamely said. She has been working at the Cookie Box since June and has loved it since.

The Cookie Box is open from Wednesday-Friday 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. and on Saturdays they open at 10 a.m. and close at 2 p.m..